England Athletics is launching a Team Staff Training Programme – a fantastic opportunity aimed at developing new team coaches and managers by providing them with a structured programme of webinars, mentoring sessions and team staff work shadowing opportunities.
Each year, a cohort of 20 coaches will be selected to take part in the two-year programme. England Athletics will select five coaches per event group (Endurance, Jumps, Throws & Speed) to participate in the Team Coach Training Programme and five people for the Team Management Training Programme.
If you would like to apply to take part in the programme then please read and submit an Expression of Interest form (see ‘Find out more and apply’ section below) before the deadline of 30 April 2021. The form contains additional criteria for individuals applying and also provides additional detail on the programme. Applications will be subject to a selection process and successful applicants will be enrolled onto the programme from 7 May 2021.
The developmental webinars will also be available for the general athletics community to watch, while only programme participants will be able to receive the mentoring and team staff work shadowing opportunities.
The programme will provide:
- Training on event specific rules and the general rules of competition
- Organisational, logistical and management requirements dependent on the role
- Duties and responsibilities training for each role as well as best practice guidance and support
- Two work shadowing opportunities in your desired role area within the two-year programme
- Developmental feedback from each work shadowing opportunity
- Guidance on how best to engage in reflective practice for continual role development
- Role and event specific mentoring
We will also be looking for programme mentors to help in the development of the programme participants. If you think this role could be for you, please view and submit the relevant form below.
Find out more and apply
To read the application criteria and apply, download the relevant application form. Once completed please submit to the email address stated in the form.
- Team Staff: Click here to download the Team Staff Expression of Interest application form (DOC 60kB).
- Mentors: Click here to download the Mentor Expression of Interest application form (DOC 60kB).
If you have any queries about completing the expression of interest as a programme applicant, or in relation to becoming a programme mentor, then please contact: email@example.com
Sign-up links will be made available shortly and the webinar delivery will begin in May. Anyone with an interest in these topics will be able to sign-up – you do not need to have been accepted onto the programme to attend. The series of webinars in the programme will focus on the following topics:
- Roles and responsibilities of being a good Team Coach
- Skills required when dealing with athletes at competition
- Team Coach experiences – sharing of stories from good existing team coaches – mentors
- Scenario Discussions – “What would you do?”
- Reflective Practice – How to keep developing yourself as a team coach