Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
At England Athletics we work to grow opportunities for everyone to experience athletics and running, to enable them to reach their full potential. Our vision is that athletics and running will be the most inclusive and popular sport in England, led by a network of progressive clubs and organisations and supported by a sustainable, respected and trusted governing body.
Diversity Action Plan
In January 2021 we updated our Diversity Action Plan (PDF 323kB) which details our ongoing commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion. The document outlines the progress made since first launching the plan in 2017, in line with A Code for Sports Governance. We are committed to regularly monitoring our progress against the Diversity Action Plan and reporting on it annually.
- Improved female and ethnically diverse representation within our own governance structure.
- Delivery of education and training for senior leadership teams and staff across equality and diversity, unconscious bias and mental health.
- Enhanced engagement with valued equality partners across the sport and beyond.
To improve equality, diversity and inclusion in athletics and running we will:
- Ensure that the principles of equality and diversity are owned and are embedded throughout the Leadership of England Athletics
- Improve our understanding of equality and diversity issues within our organisation by better understanding the equality profile of our sport and organisation
- Raise awareness of and embed the principles of equality and diversity throughout our organisation by regularly reviewing our policies, procedures and practices to ensure they are inclusive and do not discriminate; and provide information for clubs, coaches, officials and members to help them tackle inequality and discrimination in athletics and running
- Understand and tackle barriers for under-represented groups in athletics and bring athletics and running to new audiences. We will encourage all sections of society to participate in our sport
Our commitment to increasing diversity and inclusion across our sport can be demonstrated though:
- Our current work to achieve the Advanced Level of the Equality Standard for Sport in 2021.
- Our work as a signatory to the Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation.
- Our work to implement the recommendations of the ‘Let’s Talk About Race’ series and work as a signatory of the Sporting Equals Race Equality Charter.
- Our membership and work with the RACEquality Network.
- England Athletics supports the Athletics Pride Network.
We adhere to World Athletics Eligibility Regulations for Transgender athletes for area and national championships and associated qualification events, but we are also committed to ensuring that we provide support to all athletes and operate on a case-by-case approach on a local level in a way that seeks to balance the fundamental principles of safety, inclusion and fairness. Read the full statement from UK Athletics.
“Equality, diversity and inclusion is a responsibility for all of us and we are committed to ensuring it is a golden thread that runs through everything we do. To develop and nurture our inclusive culture and contribute to effective decision making, we must continuously ensure we are embracing and involving perspectives from wide ranging backgrounds and experiences.”Lorna Boothe MBE, our Board Diversity Champion
England Athletics Inclusion Policy
Access the 2023 England Athletics Inclusion Policy.