Physical Preparation - mobility, movement and performance (Enfield)
Venue: College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London, 73 Hertford Road, Middlesex, EN3 5HA
Description: Focussing on how athletes can improve mobility, movement and therefore athletic performance, this workshop builds on the content in the England Athletics Movement Skills workshop. This workshop looks at movement assessment and interventions including use of foam rollers, hurdle mobility and coordination drills and strength training progressions.
Some athletes will present with major physical limitations which will increase their chances of injury or re-injury. This workshop helps you address some of these issues and more.
Content coaches will learn and cover include:
- how to conduct a series of movement screening exercises as well as how to assess hamstring flexibility, ankle mobility and upper spine mobility.
- how physical limitations can be addressed and explore some of the appropriate interventions.
- about the use of self-myofascial release and how the use of foam rollers and other tools can help an athlete to improve mobility and performance. This should be an integral part of an athletes’ programme whether they are an elite performer in the 100m or trying to complete their first 10km run
- practical activities exploring hurdle mobility drills with a focus on how to develop hip mobility, knee stability and coordination. These drills are applicable to all event groups
- strength pattern progressions covering exercises such as squats, Bulgarian squats, Romanian deadlifts, hip thrusts and other hamstring conditioning exercises. Coaches will learn how to vary the load using equipment such as strength bands and powerbags.
It is strongly recommended that coaches attend days 1 and 2 of the movement skills workshops before attending this day.
Time: 9am - 1pm
To book: Click here to go direct to booking page; registration closing 3rd May 2018
Coaches to bring any food or drink they require for during the workshop. Some facilities may have a canteen or cafe area, but some will have no areas available to buy refreshments.
The workshop will be practical so please bring suitable clothing i.e. trainers, shorts / tracksuit bottoms.
England Athletics welcome you bringing a video camera/ tablet device to this workshop should you want to film some of the exercises for personal use*. However some restrictions, or requirements to ‘sign in’ equipment may be in place at some facilities and we ask that you respect the rules concerning recordings in place at venues we use.
Please note though that coaches will be provided with a link to extensive EA video material post workshop.