Select an option below to view more information about each pathway step.
The track and field pathway can begin at Assistant Official or Level 1. Assistant Official is not a pre-requisite for Level 1.
- Register and attend an Assistant Officials course (must be over 14 years of age)
- Attend a minimum of 2 athletics meetings (under supervision of a qualified level 1 or above Official). Experiences can be backdated up to 12 months prior to your Officials course. This is for both levels of track and field, plus level 1 of endurance.
- Complete a DBS (16 or over) or self declaration (aged 16 or under)
- Submit Assistant Official application form (Word 696 kB) to email@example.com (must be 14 or over)
- Register and attend a Level 1 Officials course (minimum 16 years of age)
- Once logged in, please select the drop down menu under course type. Select ‘Officials’ then search
- Complete our health and safety online module
- Complete our safeguarding online module
- Officiate at a minimum of four athletics meetings (for Level 1 Starter – this must be four experiences as a starter AND four experiences as a starters assistant). Experiences can be backdated up to 12 months prior to your Officials course. This is for both levels of track and field, plus level 1 of endurance.
- Complete a DBS check
- Submit Level 1 application form (Word 696kB) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete all steps at Level 1
- Complete Level 2 discipline specific questions
- Obtain one positive report (reporter must be Level 3 or above for at least two years)
- Officiate at a minimum of six additional meetings (for Level 2 Starter – this must be six experiences as a starter AND six experiences as a starters assistant)
- Obtain one positive report – contact your COfSec to arrange this
- Show evidence of self reflection within Record of Experience (ROE)
- Submit Level 2 application form (Word 697kB), completed questions, positive report, record of experience to your Level 1 Course Tutor. Please copy in your County Officials Secretary (CofSec) into this email
- If your Level 1 Course Tutor is unknown, please contact email@example.com who will send this on your behalf
- Complete all steps at Level 2
- Officiate at a minimum of 10 additional meetings (for Level 2 Starter – this must be 10 experiences as a starter AND 10 experiences as a starters assistant)
- Obtain two positive reports (reporter must be level 4 or above). For level 3 Starter this must include one report as a starter and one report as a starters assistant. Contact your Tri-Regional Upgrading Secretary to arrange these
- Show evidence of mentoring and self reflection within Record of Experience (ROE)
- Submit your Level 3 application form (Word 696kB), two positive reports and Record of Experience to your Tri-Regional Upgrading Secretary
- Complete all steps at Level 3
- Register and attend Level 4 Officials Course and technology module of chosen discipline. This is facilitated by UK Athletics
- Complete Level 4 questions and submit to Tri-Regional Upgrading Secretary
- Show evidence of mentoring and self reflection within record of experience
- Officiate at a minimum of 30 additional athletics meetings over two years (three years for photo-finish)
- Obtain a minimum of six positive reports (Level 4 or above) – contact your Tri-Regional Upgrading Secretary to arrange these
- Submit Level 4 application form, six positive reports and record of experience to Tri-Regional Secretary
Download the guidelines for presenting applications for Level 4.
County Officials’ Secretaries (Track & Field)
Your County Officials’ Secretary (COfSec) are a vital link between Officials in their county, meeting organisers and England Athletics. CofSecs provide invaluable support and guidance and form a very important relationship with officials from within their county. This includes:
- Finding events to attend to gain experience
- Advising and supporting Officials in their development including upgrading processes
- Identifying/allocating experienced mentors to support new Officials’ development
- Identify and arrange training courses that are required for clubs and counties
- Encouraging and supporting individuals attending Assistant/Level 1 Officials courses to complete the process of attaining their Officials qualification
- Maintain contact with local clubs in encouraging the recruitment and development of club members interested in becoming a Technical Official
Tri-Regional Groups form a link between Officials within the multiple counties and the respective tri-regions (Northern Group, Midlands/South West Group and the Southern Group). They have an important role in coordinating and supporting the Officials at or working towards Levels 3 and 4 across all disciplines across England. For any Officials aspiring to become a level 3 or 4 official, these are the groups that will provide the support in attaining these qualifications.
Record of Experience
Completing your Record of Experience form is an excellent way to evidence the experience, skills and knowledge gained at the events you have attended. It can also assist the CofSec/Mentor/Tri-Region in supporting your development and progression as an athletics Official. The form can be used to record officiating at a competition, attendance at meetings or providing training as a tutor for both track/field and endurance experiences/events.
Your Record of Experience can be found via the myMembership section of myAthleticsPortal. For queries please contact Marc Ritchie, Technical Officials Development Manager at England Athletics: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Level 1 and 2 Officials ‘Record of Experience Forms’ are to be sent to their CofSec by 30 September each year
- Level 3 and 4 Officials ‘Record of Experience Forms’ are to be sent to their Tri-Regional Secretary by 30 September each year