The England Athletics Champions of the Road series is new for 2019. In addition to individual titles at each of our England Athletics road running championship races listed below, it offers individuals and club teams competing in three or more championship events the opportunity to become the outright England Athletics Champion of the Roads.
Each of the six races listed will be a stand-alone England Championship race with individual and team titles up for grabs at 5k, 5 miles, 10k, 10 miles, Half-Marathon and Marathon. As well as recognising the the top three individuals, club teams will also be able to challenge for medals. Both men’s and women’s teams will be scored separately, with three runners to count. The times of the fastest three runners in a team will give an aggregate score to determine the winning team.
Each of the races in the series is also a stand alone England Championship event and counts towards the Champions of the Road series. The highest scoring team and individual with three from six races in the series completed will be crowned Champions of the Road.
Club teams and individuals with one or more races under their belts have the opportunity to increase their points tally in the remaining races. Teams and are individuals are not required to register and will be automatically entered into the series. Clubs must be affiliated with England Athletics and all runners must registered athletes in the current competition year.
- Race 1 (10k): 14 April – BM10k, Brighton
- Race 2 (marathon): 28 April – Virgin Money London Marathon
- Race 3 (5k): 11 May – Ipswich Twilight 5k
- Race 4 (5M): Sunday 11 August – City of Preston 5 miles
- Race 5 (half marathon): Sunday 13 October – Simplyhealth Great Birmingham Run – click for event website
- Race 6 (10M): Sunday 20 October – Simplyhealth Great South Run, Portsmouth – click for event website
Prizes and Awards
England Championship Races prizes
- Medals for the first three Male and first three Female individuals
- Team Medals for the first three Men’s Teams and the first three Women’s Teams
*3 runners to score for teams and runners must be wearing club vests
Prizes to be presented on the day, subject to results services.
Champions of the Road series points
- Individual positions are converted to points. 100 pts for a win, 99pts 2nd. Positions 100th or more scores 1 point.
- Team Positions are determined by the combined time of the club’s scoring men’s and scoring women’s teams. Therefore, clubs will need three male and three female finishers at three of the scoring championship races.
- Team points will be awarded 100 pts = 1st team, 98 pts = 2nd. team, 96 pts = 3rd team, etc
Champions of the Road series prizes
- The highest scoring Male and Female athlete from the best three of six races will receive a specially designed, bespoke and personalised Champion of the Road vest and track top, as well as a trophy.
- The individual runners up, second and third placed runners, will receive a trophy.
- The overall winning team with the highest score from their best three of six races will receive a set of Champion of the Road vests with the club name printed on it, for contributing members of the team and a team trophy.
- The team runners up, second and third placed teams, will receive a team trophy.
Prizes to be presented by arrangement after the final race in the series and the announcement of the series winners.
The kit has been designed by England Athletics kit sponsor Kukri and is a nod to the King of the Mountains cycling jerseys with the winning individuals and team earning the right to sport their vest for the beginning of the 2020 series.