Track and Field teams
England Athletics value the importance of competitive international opportunities for athletes and upcoming opportunities are as listed. The aim of selections for these teams will be to enable the best athletes in England to compete internationally. Developing athletes of any age will be considered for inclusion in international competition and some emphasis will be placed on the Under 23 age group.
2023 outdoor selection events
U20 Welsh International – Saturday 26 August 2023
England Athletics will select two teams to represent at the 2023 U20 Welsh International – 1 x U18 Team + 1 x U20 Team. The teams will integrate Para Athletes. Our principal aim is to enable the best U20 athletes in England the opportunity to compete internationally, who did not gain selection for European U20 Championships or Commonwealth Youth Games.
2023 indoor selection events
- Hustopecske Skakani— Saturday 4th February 2023
- Tallinn Combined Event International (report) — 4 and 5 February 2023
- Reykjavik International Games (report) — Sunday 5 February 2023
- Vaxjo International (report) — Saturday 4 March
Coaches and athletes wishing to be considered for selection should complete the relevant England Athletics Teams online form. To be considered for selection, athletes must be eligible to compete for England (including being a full British passport holder).
The England Athletics’ Teams and Competitions Manager will collate team nominations for the final selection. Nominations will be ranked in order of priority before being presented to the final England selection panel.
Selection panel to be drawn from:
- England Athletics Head of Coaching and Athlete Development
- England Athletics Teams and Competitions Manager
- England Athletics Event Group Leads
- British Athletics Performance Representative – usually a Technical Development Manager
England Athletics will work with British Athletics to identify inclusive competition opportunities for both the indoor and outdoor seasons, seeking to cause a minimum of clashes which may cause problems for athletes. The teams selected for England will not necessarily be the highest ranked or fastest athletes in England. The Selection Panel will select athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history.
- Athletes needing competitions as part of their preparation for major Championships
- Athletes needing opportunities to achieve qualifying standards
- Athletes returning from injury
- Development opportunities
Coaches and athletes wishing to be considered for selection should complete the England Athletics Teams online form. To be considered for selection, athletes be eligible to compete for England (including being a full British passport holder).
Team Management opportunities
It is the aim that England Athletics team management opportunities will be offered to volunteer coaches where possible, with an aim that 50 percent of team management will come from outside the full time professional England Athletics ranks. Coach and Athlete Development Managers will work to identify potential team managers and offer international coaching opportunities through the Teams and Competitions Manager where appropriate. These roles are all very different in what is expected from them and full support will be offered to all new team managers, under the direction of the lead coach for each team and feedback will be offered to all team staff after each competition. All team managers will be expected to feedback to the lead coach and personal coaches on the performances and other observations of athletes.
There are different opportunities for:
- Event specific team coaches (Event specific coach roles will need event specific knowledge and a minimum coaching qualifications at level 3 or above).
- Team managers
- Team leaders
To be part of the England team staff or management at internationals, coaches will need to be actively engaged and delivering on England Athletics programmes such as:
- Coaching and other key staff at Charter Mark Universities who are involved in working directly with England Athletics
- Area (Midlands/North/South) and national team managers (ECCA/ERRA/FRA/RWA) with previous experience
- Coaches involved in the delivery of our targeted events work (Steeplechase / Marathon / Walks / 400m Hurdles)
- Coaches of athletes on the England Athletics Talent Programme
- ClubRun and Tracknights session deliverers
- Coaches involved in any of the throws development project delivery
- Coaches involved in delivery at Regional and National Coach and Athlete Development Days