We are delighted to confirm the nominees for the England Athletics National Volunteer Awards – with the awards set to be announced during an online broadcast via our website at 7:30pm on Saturday 23 January 2021.
Winners from our Regional Volunteer Awards 2020, hosted last November and December across the nine regions, were put forward to an external panel for consideration for a national award. The panel has now confirmed the nominees for the England Athletics National Volunteer Awards across nine awards categories (scroll down to view nominees).
England Athletics is proud to showcase the extraordinary contribution of volunteers from across the athletics and running community who have gone above and beyond during such a challenging year. Volunteers from across the country have played a vital role in steering the sport through the impacts of Covid-19 and have helped individuals and communities to stay positive and stay active.
The awards broadcast on Saturday 23 January will be screened via this website – links will be made available on our Volunteer Awards website page. To enable contributions from a number of different guests, the broadcast will be pre-recorded but screened ‘as live’. The broadcast will also feature the announcement of the recipient of the Dave Sunderland Coaching Bursary Award for 2020.
The nominees for the England Athletics National Volunteer Awards are:
Athletics and Running @home award: Recognising an individual/club/group who helped support their local community to stay active during the global pandemic.
Club of the Year award: Recognising both the achievements of a club, as well as demonstrating ongoing commitment and passion through the opportunities they have given to everyone involved in the club over the last 12 months.
- Nominee 1: Blackheath & Bromley Harriers AC (London region)
- Nominee 2: West Cheshire AC (North West region)
Coach of the Year award: Recognising an individual who has demonstrated their passion and commitment for coaching within athletics and running.
- Nominee 1: Paul Wilson – City of York AC (Yorkshire & Humber region)
- Nominee 2: Mike Utting – City of Norwich AC (East region)
Run Leader of the Year award: Recognising an individual who has demonstrated their passion and commitment for leading within athletics and running.
- Nominee 1: Julie Smith – Quarrington Hill Runners (North East region)
- Nominee 2: Jane Vongvorachoti – Run Higher Collective (London region)
Official of the Year award: Recognising an enthusiastic official who makes a brilliant contribution to athletics in their local area, club or region.
- Nominee 1: Christopher Parkinson – Wycombe Phoenix Harriers & AC (South East region)
- Nominee 2: Mary Hodges – Leamington C&AC (West Midlands region)
Volunteer of the Year award: Recognising the efforts of a volunteer who is seen as invaluable within their club, local area or region.
- Nominee 1: Tracey Jones – Southampton AC (South East region)
- Nominee 2: Jemma Arbon – Mansfield Harriers & AC (East Midlands region)
Young Volunteer of the Year award: Recognising the efforts and achievement of a young volunteer (14-25) who is making significant contributions to their local club, area or region.
- Nominee 1: Rosie Timlock – Wreake & Soar Valley AC (East Midlands region)
- Nominee 2: Thomas Lewis – Run Wild Manchester (North West region)
RunTogether Group of the Year award: Recognising a RunTogether Group that provides friendly, supportive and welcoming group running opportunities in their community.
- Nominee 1: Team Caterpillar (Yorkshire & Humberside region)
- Nominee 2: Lions Running Community (North West region)
Services to Athletics or Running award: Recognising long-term outstanding service to the sport from an individual or group of individuals.
- Nominee 1: Dave and Anne Roberts – Cleethorpes AC (Yorkshire & Humber region)
- Nominee 2: Paul Sanderson – Telford AC (West Midlands region)