Our Volunteer Awards give our athletics and running community a chance to hero the fantastic volunteers working across the regions to make our sport great.
Volunteering in our sport can be extremely rewarding – sharing your knowledge and passion with others to get more people into and enjoying our sport. If you’re inspired by our 2020 awards or the stories of our winners from previous years, and you’d like to get involved in volunteering in athletics and running, then click here to find out more about volunteering opportunities.
Regional Volunteer Awards 2020
Our Regional Volunteer Awards 2020 will see nine virtual regional awards nights take place across England through November and early December to celebrate the amazing volunteers in the athletics and running family!
Our Regional Volunteer Awards will honour the fantastic contribution that volunteers make to our sport – shining a spotlight on the dedication, inspiration and hard work that they bring to athletics and running week on week.
For 2020, our Regional Volunteer Awards nights will take place on the following dates at 7pm, hosted on Zoom for invited nominees but also streamed live on the England Athletics YouTube channel so that friends, family and fellow club and group members can follow the action by watching online (see below for links to live broadcasts).
- Wednesday 18 November – North East: watch again at youtu.be/CNRtwaTWfMs
- Thursday 19 November – London: watch again at youtu.be/WJb7FQAB50U
- Monday 23 November – West Midlands: watch again at youtu.be/WM1otJSGPEQ
- Wednesday 25 November – East Midlands: watch again at youtu.be/LR3RrwgndKA
- Friday 27 November – South East: stream live and watch again at youtu.be/LDGgAP7G6xQ
- Saturday 28 November – South West: stream live and watch again at youtu.be/LV6atiB3kLs
- Monday 30 November – Yorkshire & Humber: stream live and watch again at youtu.be/iMqAigz4owE
- Thursday 3 December – North West: stream live and watch again at youtu.be/-C3wv8mMbJM
- Friday 4 December – East: stream live and watch again at youtu.be/dpTOIbO-1kI
All live streams will start from 7pm on each regional awards night. You can also follow our England Athletics social media channels (Twitter: @EnglandAthletic and Facebook/Instagram: @EnglandAthletics) for further updates and confirmation of the winners and runners-up after each regional awards night.
Volunteer Awards 2020 categories
Celebrating the volunteers in our sport is important in any year – but this year has been one like no other. Our 2020 Regional Volunteer Awards enable us to pay tribute to the outstanding efforts from volunteers in the athletics and running family who have helped steer our sport through the impacts of Covid-19 and worked tirelessly to create training and competition opportunities through summer and up to the current lockdown. That’s why we created a new award category to help showcase the exceptional work undertaken by the many clubs, groups and volunteers across the country who kept people active, and kept our sport running, during the coronavirus pandemic.
This year’s awards categories will recognise the contribution of volunteers and young volunteers, volunteer coaches and leaders, officials, clubs, RunTogether groups, and long-term service from individuals:
- Athletics or Running Club of the Year: Recognising both the achievements of a club, as well as demonstrating ongoing commitment and passion through the opportunities they have given to everyone involved in the club over the last 12 months.
- Coach of the Year: Recognising an individual who has demonstrated their passion and commitment for coaching within athletics and running.
- Leader of the Year: Recognising an individual who has demonstrated their passion and commitment for leading within athletics and running.
- Official of the Year: Recognising an enthusiastic official who makes a brilliant contribution to Athletics in their local area, club or region.
- Volunteer of the Year: Recognising the efforts of a volunteer who is seen as invaluable within their club, local area or region.
- Young Volunteer of the Year: Recognising the efforts and achievement of a young volunteer (14-25) who is making significant contributions to their local club, area or region.
- RunTogether Group of the Year: Recognising a RunTogether Group that provides friendly, supportive and welcoming group running opportunities in their community.
- Services to Athletics or Running: Recognising long-term outstanding service to the sport from an individual or group of individuals.
- Athletics and Running @home: Recognising an individual/club/group of members who helped support their local community to stay active during the global pandemic.
National Volunteer Awards
Regional winners will be put forward to an external panel that will select the finalists for the chance to win one of our prestigious National Volunteer Awards (date and details for 2020 TBC).
- Click here to have a look back at the winners of the 2019 National Volunteer Awards.
- Click here to have a look back at the winners of the 2019 Regional Awards.