VOLUNTEER AWARDS 2020
Our Volunteer Awards give our athletics and running community a chance to hero the fantastic volunteers working across the regions to make our sport great.
Nominations for the Regional Volunteer Awards 2020 are now closed. The initial nominations period closed on 28 June. Aware that a number of our affiliated clubs and RunTogether groups, and their members, may have missed the chance to nominate for our 2020 Regional Volunteer Awards due to being non-operational during part of the government’s lockdown period, we then re-opened nominations for a limited two week period from 17 August – 31 August. (when our original nominations window was open).
Please stay tuned – we’ll be communicating further plans for this year’s Regional Volunteer Awards shortly.
This year’s awards categories will recognise the contribution of volunteers and young volunteers, volunteer coaches and leaders, officials, clubs, RunTogether groups, and long-term service from individuals. Through a new award category linked to our Athletics & Running @home campaign, we are also acknowledging community-focused efforts from clubs, groups and individuals that helped their local athletics and running communities to stay active during the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown.
2020 Volunteer Award Categories
There are nine different award categories for both the regional and the national awards:
- Athletics or Running Club of the Year: Recognising both the achievements of a club, as well as demonstrating ongoing commitment and passion through the opportunities they have given to everyone involved in the club over the last 12 months.
- Coach of the Year: Recognising an individual who has demonstrated their passion and commitment for coaching within athletics and running.
- Leader of the Year: Recognising an individual who has demonstrated their passion and commitment for leading within athletics and running.
- Official of the Year: Recognising an enthusiastic official who makes a brilliant contribution to Athletics in their local area, club or region.
- Volunteer of the Year: Recognising the efforts of a volunteer who is seen as invaluable within their club, local area or region.
- Young Volunteer of the Year: Recognising the efforts and achievement of a young volunteer (14-25) who is making significant contributions to their local club, area or region.
- RunTogether Group of the Year: Recognising a RunTogether Group that provides friendly, supportive and welcoming group running opportunities in their community.
- Services to Athletics or Running: Recognising long-term outstanding service to the sport from an individual or group of individuals.
- Athletics and Running @home: Recognising an individual/club/group of members who helped support their local community to stay active during the global pandemic.
Regional winners are put forward to an external panel for the chance to win one of our prestigious National Awards, with the overall winners announced at our National Volunteer Awards (date and details for 2020 TBC).
Volunteering in our sport
Volunteering can be extremely rewarding – sharing your knowledge and passion with others to get more people into and enjoying our sport. If you’re inspired by the stories of our previous winners, and you’d like to get involved in volunteering in athletics and running, then click here to find out more about volunteering opportunities.