Road Running teams
England Athletics value the importance of competitive road running opportunities for athletes looking to earn international representative honours for the first time, as well as those athletes looking to further develop themselves through international competition. We aim to both reward and acknowledge athletes meeting the selection criteria for the first time as well providing opportunity for those athletes with the potential to challenge for future global championship teams.
2023/24 selection events
- 15 January 2023 – 10k Valencia Ibercaja
- Download the 10k Valencia Ibercaja selection policy (PDF 269kB)
- 9 February 2023 – Armagh International Road Races (3k and 5k)
- Download the Armagh International Road Races (3k and 5k) selection policy (PDF 230kB)
- 2 April 2023 – Anglo Celtic Plate 100k
- Download Anglo Celtic Plate 100k selection policy (PDF 121kB)
- 30 April 2023 – Cardiff 5km – Under 20
- Download the Cardiff 5km selection policy (PDF 254 kB)
- 14 May 2023 – Copenhagen Marathon
- Download the Copenhagen Marathon selection policy (PDF 246kB)
- 12 August 2023 – Home Nations 5k
- Download the Home Nations 5k selection policy (PDF 316kB)
- 26/27 August 2023 – Antrim Coast Elite 1 Mile and Half Marathon
- Download the Antrim Coast Elite 1 Mile and Half Marathon selection policy (PDF 229kB)
- 15 September 2023 – Trofeo Opitergium
- Download the Trofeo Opitergium selection policy (PDF 322kB)
- 18 February 2024 – Seville Marathon
- Download the Seville Marathon selection policy (PDF 317kB)
The first two eligible athletes at the England Athletics 10k, 10 miles, Half Marathon and Marathon Championships will be selected for an England Athletics Team opportunity.
The Selection Panel will select further athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history up to and including the given selection date given. Eligible athletes who competed at the associated England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
To be considered for selection, athletes must satisfy the following:
- Be eligible to compete for England (i.e. full British passport holder);
- Have achieved a relevant England Athletics development standard within the qualification period associated with the different Team opportunities.
Selection: England Athletics invitations
Alongside the England Athletics Team Events detailed above, we also receive invitations from on an ad hoc basis from other race organisers. We will publicise these opportunities via the England Athletics website; the Coach & Athlete Development Managers; and the England Athletics eNews. The Selection Panel will select athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history. Eligible athletes who have competed at the England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
All questions related to the selection policy and the selection races (not including Masters events) should be directed to the England Athletics Road Running Manager, Tom Craggs at email@example.com