This year’s pre-season junior development camp will be held on Sunday 15 March at Sedbergh School from 10am to 4pm.
The Fell Runners' Association mountain running U17 development camp - 'Introduction to International Mountain Running' is aimed at establishing the building blocks of future high performance in endurance running by developing skills and knowledge amongst junior runners and coaches. It is intended to enjoyable, stimulating and interesting with the day being delivered by a team of experienced coaches, physiotherapists and sports scientists, as well as inputs and insights from elite athletes, this year WMRA World Cup Champion Andy Douglas, World & European U20 Champion Joe Dugdale, and GB U20 International Lauren Dickson.
As those who may attend are likely to have raced at the English Schools' Cross Country Championships in Liverpool the day before, it is intended that this will be a more educational than training camp. There is no intention of doing a training session but there will be some drill work and stretching during the day that all athletes will be expected to participate in.
- Optimising Health for Performance (Dr Rebecca Robinson)
- Becoming a World Champion (Joe Dugdale)
- Proactive injury prevention & recovery strategies (Louisa Edmonston)
- Drills for endurance runners (Lauren Dickson)
- Developing as a junior athlete, a coach’s perspective (Karen Glenum)
- Psychology of Performance (Duncan Richards)
- My journey & learning as an International athlete (Andrew Douglas)
- Junior fell & mountain running opportunities in 2019 (Anne Buckley)
To attend, athletes must be between 15 -16 and intend racing in the FRA U17 age group. Space is limited and a final call on applications will be made on 8 March.
Athletes should have demonstrated ability by:
- placing in the top 10 in any FRA English Championship race
- placing consistently in BOFRA races
- reaching county level at cross country
- or running fast times on the track or road
Cost will be £15.
Click here for the application form (DOC 120kB)