England Athletics has partnered with five of the country’s best marathon races to create a unique opportunity for England Athletics registered runners to qualify to represent their country at Masters age group level.
Starting in Autumn 2016, England Athletics registered athletes who are competing in the Bournemouth, Chester, Yorkshire, Brighton and Greater Manchester marathons can earn the right to represent England in a target marathon in Autumn 2017.
Each of the five marathons will act as a qualifying race, with the top five EA-registered runners in each masters age category, who have opted in to the qualifying system, guaranteeing themselves a place in the England team.
Chris Jones, CEO of England Athletics, says, “At England Athletics we are constantly looking for ways to inspire more people to run and to provide opportunities for registered members of our affiliated clubs. We are absolutely delighted to be working with five of the country’s top marathon races to help motivate and reward club members for their dedication to the sport.”
Qualifying Marathon Dates:
- Bournemouth Marathon – October 2nd 2016
- Chester Marathon – October 2nd 2016
- Yorkshire Marathon – October 9th 2016
- Brighton Marathon – April 9th 2017
- Greater Manchester Marathon – April 2nd 2017
(Details of specific entry details for events where general entry has already closed will be published)
Age Groups (men and women):
We want runners to have their say on which autumn marathon from the series should be the target marathon in 2017. Please click here to vote for your choice.
Please note the following:
- It is the responsibility of individual runners to enter their chosen qualifying marathon. The usual entry fees apply.
- For the England Representative event, runners will bear the costs of travel to the marathon and the entry fee for the race. Team kit will be available for purchase.
How to Register:
To register an intention to qualify for the England Age Group team, runners must either:
- Submit their name, club, age group, England Athletics registration number and event entered at www.englandathletics.org/masters-age-group-athletes-to-represent-england-at-marathon
- Select the option at the point of entry to qualifying marathon
Only England Athletics registered athletes who have registered their intention to qualify are eligible.
Selections will also be subject to current competitive fitness.