An England contingent of female and male under-20 athletes came away from northern Italy on Saturday with three European road race medals, two team and one individual, after a series of superb performances against top-class opposition.
At the fifth Trofeo Opitergium in the small city of Oderzo, the team of eight young athletes and two support staff made it a race to remember, sprinkled with PBs, against 13 other European nations.
There was individual success for Matt Ramsden who posted a brilliant best when crossing the line for second spot and a silver medal in a time of 29.57 for the 10km – just three seconds behind the winner Joad Martinho from France.
Ramsden was neck and neck with the Italian athlete Stefano Cecere but dug deep for that finish line and in return earned a second quickest 10k U20 time this year.
The England men and women won bronze team medals in their respective competitions based on their cumulative times.
Ellen Weir was the first English female to cross the 5km line in 9th (17.18), followed by Louise Hackett in 14th (17.25), Mia Waldmann in 17th (17.30) and Pippa Roessler in 29th (18.15).
After Ramsden’s second place finish for the men, it followed Rowan Miell-Ingram's 12th place (31.13 – PB), Sam Hodgson in 13th (31.19 – PB), and Daniel Maydrew in 30th (32.57 – PB).
England U20 Women – 5km race
- Ellen Weir (coach: Anne Hegvold; club: Hercules Wimbledon) – 9th place with 17.18
- Louise Hackett (Gareth Briggs; Wolverhampton & Bilston) – 14th place with 17.25
- Mia Waldmann (Reading AC) – 17th place with 17.30
- Pippa Roessler (Mick Woods; Aldershot, Farnham & District) – 29th place with 18.15
England U20 Men – 10km race
- Matthew Ramsden (Noel Finucane; Blackburn Harriers) – 2nd place with 29.57 [PB]
- Rowan Miell-Ingram (Wendy Miell-Ingram; Radley) – 12th place with 31.13 [PB]
- Sam Hodgson (Shireen Higgins; Windsor Slough Eton and Hounslow)– 13th place with 31.19 [PB]
- Daniel Maydrew (Simon Prior; Wells City Harriers) – 30th place with 32.57 [PB]