Event Group Throw
What is it?
The Event Group Coach programme, which offers a specific Event Group Throws athletic coaching course, has been designed to provide licensed athletics coaches with a greater understanding and awareness of the issues involved in coaching athletes at the Event Group Development stage of the athlete development model (typically 14-18 years).
- Book your place on the Event Group Throw course via Athletics Hub (new users will need to create a free login)
Coaches who undertake this course will develop their technical knowledge and expertise across the individual events that make up event areas. There are currently four Event Group areas available: Sprints and Hurdles, Jumps, Throws and Endurance.
It’s important to note that candidates are not restricted to taking only one event group. We actively encourage candidates to get involved in coaching across event groups.
Our coaching journey is supported by British Athletics’ coaching qualifications.
Format: Online learning and single integration day
The Event Group Coach Award is made up of two component parts, an online learning component and a single integration day. Candidates embarking on this course must do so in the knowledge that the online learning component requires a significant time commitment.
The online learning component allows coaches to work through the athletic throwing coaching qualification at their own pace. A thorough understanding of the material is essential to be successful on this programme and so to ensure all material is understood candidates are required to take a short multiple-choice test at the end of each module. While the total number of modules varies among event groups there are roughly 25 in total. It is expected that the online learning component will take around 25-30 hours or 4-5 days of total study time to complete.
The single integration day allows coaches to come together to discuss how the information they have studied online can be integrated into a training plan for athletes at the event group stage of the athlete development pathway. There is no practical assessment as coaches are already qualified to coach unsupervised.
Topics covered within the Event Group Throws athletic coaching online course:
Training organisation and decision-making
- Coaching Philosophy
- Classifying training methods
- Long term development of throwers
- Training organisation strategies
- Designing training progressions
- Organising training
Event Group Specific Content
- Event Group specific concepts for throwers
- Understanding the performance profiles for throwers
- Event technical models for throwers
- Teaching progressions for throwers
- Specific training methods (Competitive Exercise and Specific Developmental Exercises) for throwers
- Warm up and cool down
- General preparatory exercise training methods
- Specific preparatory exercise training methods
- Running drills
- Introduction to weight training (please note, this does not insure you to deliver weight training sessions)
Fundamental underpinning science
- The science of Strength and Conditioning
The one day Integration Day can only be booked, once the online content has been completed.
The main focus / structure for the day is to look at:
- Technical analysis of specific events
- Training organisation and planning considerations
The day is facilitated by providing opportunity to discuss and debate observations and ideas.
Candidates must engage in tasks and activities throughout the course and demonstrate improvement following any discussions with course staff. Candidates not engaging within all aspects of the course are at risk of not gaining the qualification at the end of the process.
Book your place on the Event Group Throw course.