The England Athletics’ Club Improvement Fund is a new fund for 2022 and aims to support affiliated clubs to provide safe, sustainable, and welcoming environments for their athletes and runners.
With the Commonwealth Games coming to Birmingham in 2022 we want to mark the inspiring summer ahead for athletics and running with this small grants programme aimed specifically at our member clubs. As clubs look to capitalise on the inspiration from a home Games this fund will help them offer a more welcoming and positive experience for their members and connect with local communities to leave a lasting positive impact.
Through one single application window opening (19 May to 14 July), we will provide small grants up to a maximum of £500 to affiliated clubs looking to improve and enhance their club environment.
The application process is now closed as of 15 July 2022
Grants will be awarded to support the following priorities:
- Improved member experience – projects that make clubs safer and more welcoming for their members
- Rewarding and celebrating volunteers – projects that focus on volunteer recruitment and retention
- Sustainable clubs – projects that aim to increase club membership through recruitment and / or retention of athletes and runners
- Innovation and Inclusion – projects focussing on inclusion or innovation connected to Club Standards
Application and process guidance
Applications are currently being assessed and formal grant offers will be made towards the end of August.
How much funding can I apply for?
- We will award small grants of up to £500
We are looking to support new projects that you are thinking of delivering or new operational processes that you want to set up.
To make the application process more straight forward below are examples of projects we may consider funding:
- Coach and Officials education and development – this could include support towards the cost of formal qualifications and training with an aim of recruiting and retaining the coaching ‘workforce’ at your club. It could also focus on more informal developmental opportunities for coaches and cover items such as travel costs for them to work with another coach as part of their own personal development
- Reward and recognition for volunteers – retaining and developing your volunteers will be a key area that clubs need to focus on. Reward and recognition in an area you may need to access funding for i.e., kit / IT equipment / prizes at awards evenings
- Costs associated with celebration events or promotional activity in the lead up to, or post Commonwealth Games – this could be social activity for your current members or events targeting recruiting new members from the local community or local schools
- Marketing and promotion for your club – this could be to enhance the internal communication channels to your current members or to raise your profile to potential new members in your local community
- Small equipment purchases – ensuring your members are able to access the correct equipment is key. You may wish to access funding to ensure the quality and quantity of training equipment available to your members meet their current and future needs
- We are always keen to hear about and support projects you may be thinking about that are particularly innovative in nature or focus on inclusion & diversity
Application process and criteria
- The application process is now closed as of 15 July 2022