England Athletics currently works with QuadKids for the provision of a Track & Field short form style competition, aimed at Key Stage 2 pupils in primary schools. For more information see www.quadkids.org.
Whatever Track & Field competition format primary schools use for their Key Stage 2 students, there are a number of basic principles that should be followed:
- The competition should be team based
- It should offer a mix of running, jumping and throwing events
- All competitors should take part in at least one event in each of the three general disciplines of running, jumping and throwing
- A team quadrathlon may be an appropriate format
- The competition could conclude with team relays
- The event should last for about two hours, and no more than three hours at most.
It is also important for schools to work closely with their local athletics clubs to
help organise and deliver these events.