University Charter Mark
Your time at university is a period of significant change and can prove challenging to many of you, your parents and coaches. In response to this, we have established a Charter Mark so that you can be reassured that the environment at these universities provides the highest standards of support from the time you arrive in your 1st year until when you graduate.
By working closer with universities, England Athletics want to establish environments that help you to maintain athletics participation throughout your time at university, continue to develop, and improve performances. We also want universities to support you if you wish to move into coaching or officiating.
What is the Charter Mark?
The Charter Mark will be a nationally recognized badge of quality, endorsed by England Athletics, that a university can publicly use to demonstrate the quality of provision available at the institution.
The Gold Charter Mark will reflect excellence in pastoral support, training facilities and competitive opportunities for you as a student athlete. It aims to support you through this crucial time in your athletics journey.
England Athletics believe that it is essential to be able to signpost you to universities that offer pastoral support and high quality training and competitive opportunities. A vibrant environment, staffed by highly qualified coaches will provide you with the best chance of improving your performance levels and staying involved in the sport both during and after university.
Benefits to Universities of Charter Mark
The Gold Charter Mark will be:
- A nationally recognized quality mark, promoted and supported and endorsed by England Athletics.
- A mark of accreditation for the university, to be used in marketing and recruitment.
- An endorsement of excellence for prospective students, to help signpost them to high quality athletic environments when applying to university.
- Being involved in the Charter Mark system will strengthen relationships between a university and England Athletics.
- England Athletics will work closely with the university in areas such as conferences, coaching courses and staff development.
How universities can apply
By 1 August 2018: Submit your expression of interest to Lynne Duval the University Coordinator on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require more information please contact Lynne. She can:
- Send you a full list of the required criteria
- Take your details and keep in touch regarding any future developments
- Let you know when you can apply for the Silver and Bronze Charter Marks
- Provide more information as required
By 1 October 2018: Submit your completed submission, together with details of how you meet the required criteria.
The Gold Charter Mark sets a very high standard of facilities, support for student athletes & available training and competitive opportunities. We recognize that many universities may not be able to meet this Gold Charter Mark immediately. If you don’t meet the required criteria at this time this doesn’t mean you can’t work with England Athletics or achieve a Charter Mark in the future; Silver and Bronze Charter Marks are planned for subsequent years.