England Athletics representative opportunities for Track and Field
Athletes should read the information below and send their notifications of interest to compete, and coaches and athletes wishing to be considered for selection should notify England Team Manager / Head of Competition, Andy Day firstname.lastname@example.org of their desire to compete prior to selection.
|28 January||Vienna Indoor Classic||Vienna, Austria|
|29 January||Elan Indoor Meeting||Bratislava, Slovakia||60m, 400m, 800m, 1500m, 60m Hurdles, Triple Jump|
|4 February||Hustopece||Czech Republic||High Jump only|
|4, 9 and 11 February||Nitro Athletics||Melbourne, Australia||Click here to find out more|
|5 March||Cardiff Under 20||Cardiff, Wales|
Overall aim of the England Athletics International Programme
England Athletics value the importance of competitive International opportunities for athletes in preparation for the 2018 Commonwealth Games Team and will provide opportunities in the 2017 Indoor season as listed above. The primary aim of selections for these teams will be to contribute to the development of potential Commonwealth Games athletes via way of exposure to international competition and environment. The secondary purpose of the selections will be to enable the best athletes in England to compete internationally. Upwardly mobile, developing athletes of any age will be considered for inclusion in international competition and some emphasis will be placed on the Under 23 age group.
To be considered for selection, athletes be eligible to compete for England (i.e. full British passport holder);
Selection process - indoor
- The teams selected for England will not necessarily be the highest ranked or fastest athletes in England
- Athletes winning one of the BMC races in Sheffield as part of the EA Senior CE’s Championships will be offered a place on the England team at one of the European events.
- A maximum of two athletes may be selected subject to budgets
- Under 20 athletes winning at the Age Group Championships will be offered a place in the Team competing in Cardiff.
- The Selection Panel will select athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history up to and including 15th January 2017, and will consider as well as the automatic places above:
- Athletes needing competitions as part of their preparation for major Championships
- Athletes needing qualifying standards opportunities
- Athletes returning from injury
- Development opportunities
England Athletics will work with British Athletics to identify inclusive competition opportunities for both the indoor and outdoor seasons seeking to cause a minimum of clashes which may cause problems for athletes.
It is the aim that all England Athletics international teams that team management opportunities will be offered to volunteers where possible, with an aim that 50 percent of team management will come from outside the full time professional EA/BA ranks. National Coach Mentors will work with the coaches they are working with to identify potential team managers and offer international coaching opportunities through the Head of Teams and Competitions where appropriate. Full support will be offered to all new team managers, under the direction of the lead coach for each team and feedback will be offered to all team staff after each competition. All team managers will be expected to feedback to personal coaches on the performances and other observations of athletes within 48 hours of returning to the UK. Nationality will not play a part in the selection of Team Managers.
England Selection panel
England Head of Teams and Competitions will collate team nominations for the final selection. Nominations will be ranked in order of priority before being presented to the final England selection panel.
Selection panel to be drawn from:
- England Athletics Head of Coaching
- England Athletics Head of Teams and Competitions
- England Athletics National Coach Mentor (NCM)
- BA Performance Representative - usually a Technical Development Manager
- Three representatives of National Coach Mentors - in relevant events