Next month sees the return of the cross country season and for the Masters athletes, there is an exciting opportunity to represent England internationally.
The first port of call is the England Masters’ Cross Country team selection race in Markeaton Park, Derby on Saturday 14 October where athletes will earn the right to wear the red rose.
Those who qualify and gain their spots will be selected to race at the British and Irish Masters’ Cross Country International held in Glasgow on Saturday 11 November. The teams will be selected in 5-year age categories starting from age 35 all the way to 75+ with women racing over 6km, and men over 9.8km.
An added incentive this year is that the race has been held in Belfast in recent years and Glasgow is more accessible for English athletes. Most area clubs do offer to cover a proportion of travel expenses which is an added incentive to compete in another country but not exceed your budget.
Race entry for the England Masters Cross Country will be via the BMAF open track system. The closing date for all entries is 26 September.
To be eligible for selection you must be or become a member of an Area Masters Club. The first four from the teams of six will be automatically selected. The first three from the teams of four will be automatically selected.
Age categories for teams of six are - M35, M40, M45, M50. Age categories for teams of four are - W35 to W75 plus and M55, M60, M65, M70, M75 plus.
For those unable to make the trial race there is still a chance for selection. To ensure you are considered, please fill in the expression of interest form on the BMAF website and send it to the relevant area selector.
They are awaiting your entries/ expressions of interests so please reach out to them:
- Eastern Masters Athletic Club - Yuko Gordon: email@example.com
- Midland Masters Athletic Club - Mick Smedley: firstname.lastname@example.org
- North East Masters Athletics Association - Kim Matthews: email@example.com
- Northern Masters Athletic Club - Sue Cordingley: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southern Counties Veteran Athletic Club - Michael Jefferies email@example.com
- South West Veterans Athletics Club - Alison White: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veterans Athletic Club - Mike Mann: email@example.com
- Isle of Man Veteran Athletes Club - Mo Kelly: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out about representative opportunities
Get in touch with England Team Manager, Matt Long to find out more about representing England and the Masters cross country opportunities.