England Athletics works to grow opportunities for everyone to experience athletics and running, to enable them to reach their full potential. The Talented Athlete and Coach Pathway provides a progressive support structure for athletes and coaches to develop skills and competencies with the aim of moving athletes on to representative honours at England and GB & NI Level.
Aims of the programme
From school into club athletics and parallel support through the pathway programmes, the aim is to ensure the journey of the athlete and coach reaches its full potential. Athletics is an inclusive and diverse sport that provides excitement, challenge and lifelong enjoyment. Supporting talented individuals and the wider athletics club community through pathway programmes and talent hubs is the vision. In 2021 England Athletics/UK Athletics will have two hubs operational. These will be supported with the national activity.
Following completion of the Youth Talent Programme (YTP) or through direct selection, English athletes, aged 18+ years, will transition onto the Junior Talent Programme (JTP) for a period of three years. The aim is to sustain the contact with all athletes after the YTP but at different levels of support, dependent on progression.
2021 launch webinar
Ahead of the launch of our 2021 Junior Talent Programme, England Athletics is hosting a webinar for athletes, coaches and parents. The webinar will give an overview of the athletics talent pathway and of the athlete and coaching profiling, as well as describing the journey through the Junior Talent Programme for the athlete, personal coach and parents. We will also give an outline of the application process and provide attendees with a chance to ask questions. Click below to register free:
- Junior Talent Programme (JTP) launch webinar: 21 July
watch again coming soon
Applications for the Junior Talent Programme
The selection process is split across four stages:
- Stage 1 – Athlete/Coach application (due to open in September 2021)
- Stage 2 – Application Profile Review
- Stage 3 – Selection Panel*
- Stage 4 – Induction
* A panel comprising of the England Athletics Head of Coaching and Athlete Development (Martin Rush), Event Group Leads (Shani Palmer (Speed), Spencer Duval (Endurance), Darren Ritchie (Jumps & Combined Events) and Nick Ridgeon (Throws) and the National Talent Event Leads will select coach-athlete pairs onto the different tiers of the programme based upon their event profile, technical and physical profile, commitment, focus and distraction control, quality practice and coping with pressure.
New information will appear here for the 2021 programme soon. In the meantime, you can view details from the 2020 programme:
- Click to download the Junior Talent Programme booklet (PDF 2MB)
- Click to download the Junior Talent Programme selection process (PDF 120kB)
- Click to download the list of 2020-2021 programme athletes (PDF 40kB)
- Click to watch a recording of our recent Talent Pathway update webinar – discussing the Talent Pathway, Junior Talent Programme and Youth Talent Programme.
UKA and England Athletics will be keeping up-to-date and ensuring that the restrictions and advice put in place by the UK Government will be abided by to ensure the safety and welfare of our athletes, coaches, officials and staff and their families. The selection policy and process will be amended to align with that advice and restrictions – all updates will be published on the UKA and England Athletics websites.