Race Walking Official
Who can attend the course?
Anyone over the age of 16 who has an interest in learning more about race walking events and how to judge race-walking races can attend this three hour course (can be split across multiple days).
What will I learn?
- Understand the difference between walking and running
- Know the rules of race walking
- Know what the judges’ paddles mean
- Begin to gain confidence in picking out infringements
- Understand the procedures for issuing cautions and red cards and recording these
- Understand the purpose and importance of the posting board and when/how the chief judge will disqualify a competitor
- Understand what makes a good Race Walking Judge
- Gain a minimum of four practical experiences by attending licensed events.
- Complete a DBS check
- Complete the self-taught Safeguarding module. Details on how to book this course can be found in the Officiating Journey section
- Complete the self-taught Health and Safety module module (FREE). Details on how to book this course can be found in the Officiating Journey section
- Complete the Level 1 application form and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t worry if you cannot recall all the details including course code, name of field referee, as England Athletics can support you with this.
Progressing to Levels 2 and 3
Further Information can be found in the Track and Field pathway information and by contacting your Local County Officials Secretary (CofSec) who can identify meetings to gain experience, source a mentor and offer support to individuals who wish to progress to Level 2. For individuals who wish to progress to Level 3, please contact your Tri-Region Upgrading Secretary using the contact details.
- Northern – email@example.com
- Midlands and South-West – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Southern – email@example.com
Regional Officials’ associations can also provide additional training, resources, mentoring and support for accessing equipment for Officials’ development. Further information can be found by using the following contact links:
Regional Officials associations
Book your place on the Race Walking course.