Who can attend the course?
Anyone over the age of 16 who is interested in Officiating within the field events can attend this four hour course (can be split across multiple days). This course will cover all jumping and throwing events as well as events for athletes with a disability including seated throws, Shot, Discus, Hammer, Javelin, Club Throw, Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump and Pole Vault.
What will I learn?
- To be able to follow a duty sheet
- To be able to list field events and the various roles covered
- To understand and describe Health and Safety issues in Field officiating
- Application of the rules surrounding field officiating
- Ability to present the result card accurately
- Gain a minimum of four practical experiences by attending licensed events (two experiences used towards an Assistant Official’s qualification included within this). This should cover a horizontal jump (Long or Triple Jump), vertical jump (High Jump/Pole Vault), Long Throw (Discus/Javelin/Hammer) and Shot Put.
- Complete a DBS check.
- Complete the self-paced online Safeguarding module. Details on how to book this course can be found in the Officiating Journey section.
- Complete the self-paced online Health and Safety module (FREE). Details on how to book this course can be found in the Officiating Journey section.
- Complete the Level 1 application form and send to email@example.com.
Don’t worry if you cannot recall all the details including course code, name of field referee, as England Athletics can support you with this.
Progressing to Levels 2 and 3
Further Information can be found in the Track and Field pathway information and by contacting your Local County Officials Secretary (COfSec) who can identify meetings to gain experience, source a mentor and offer support to individuals who wish to progress to Level 2. For individuals who wish to progress to Level 3, please contact your Tri-Region Upgrading Secretary using the contact details.
- Northern – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Midlands and South-West – email@example.com
- Southern – firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Officials’ Associations can also provide additional training, resources, mentoring and support for accessing equipment for officials’ development. Further information can be found by using the following contact links:
Book your place on the Field Judge course.