The England Athletics Champions of the Road series is new for 2019. In addition to individual titles at each of our England Athletics road running championship races, it offers individuals and club teams competing in three or more England Athletics championship events the opportunity to become the outright England Athletics Champion of the Roads.
This is in addition to other opportunities we have available for our endurance athletes including Senior and Masters Representative opportunities, the All England Marathon Club Team Championships and our 10,000m track championships (see below).
Each of the six races listed will be a stand-alone England Championship race with individual and team titles up for grabs at 5k, 5 miles, 10k, 10 miles, Half-Marathon & Marathon.
However, in addition the results from each of these races will count towards the overall race series with opportunities for small, medium and large clubs to get involved. Special awards and prizes will be made in these categories, including bespoke kit designed for the series winners.
- Race 1 (10k)- Sunday 14th April – BM10k, Brighton – brightonmarathonweekend.co.uk/events/bm10k
- Race 2 (marathon) – Sunday 28th April – Virgin Money London Marathon – virginmoneylondonmarathon.com
- Race 3 (5k) – Saturday 11th May – Ipswich Twilight 5k – ipswichtwilightraces.com/5k-race
- Race 4 (5M) – Sunday 11th August – City of Preston 5 miles – cityofprestonroadraces.co.uk
- Race 5 (half marathon) – Sunday 13th October – Simplyhealth Great Birmingham Run – greatrun.org/great-birmingham-run
- Race 6 (10M) – Sunday 20th October – Simplyhealth Great South Run, Portsmouth – greatrun.org/great-south-run
*Individuals and teams will be required to pre-register interest prior to their first in the series. Full details to follow at www.englandathletics.org/championships.
**A number of events also offer entries specific for elite or high-level club athletes. Please see the event websites or contact the event organisers for details on criteria and availability.
Further opportunities for endurance athletes
England Athletics international road racing opportunities
England Athletics offers a range of international representative opportunities on the roads. Our national championships often form a part of the selection criteria for these events. Click here to find out more about the events available and the associated selection policies.
England Athletics 10,000m championships
The England Athletics 10,000m championships will be held on Friday 7 June 2019 as part of the FASTFriday 10,000m at Walthamstowe. As well as track specialists we anticipate many athletes who compete over 10K on the road will also contest this event. Further details will be available at www.orionharriers.com/fast-friday/.
England Athletics Masters representative opportunities
Our teams for Masters athletes across a range of age categories have proved highly popular and you can access more details as below.
10k Masters Team Opportunities
Half Marathon Masters Team Opportunities
All England Marathon Club Team Championships
This championship event provides club runners the with opportunity to compete against one another as a single club unit at the popular MBNA Chester Marathon on Sunday 6th October 2019. Affiliated Clubs will compete in one of three categories depending on the size of their club. England Athletics will present medals & trophies to the top three clubs in each of the categories, providing clubs both large and small the chance to become national champion title winners.
Clubs may encourage as many runners as they like to compete. Teams will be scored using a cross-country scoring system with points being awarded to the scoring runners as per their male and female finishing positions. The first complete teams in each group with the lowest scores will be declared the winners subject to UK competition rules.
How to get involved:
- Club runners enter Chester Marathon individually under their first claim affiliated club www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/marathon
- Club Secretaries or Team Managers must declare their interest to compete as a team with England Athletics by registering their interest no later than 31 July, 2019 (see online form below).
- The Marathon Organisers will determine whether a Club competes in category A, B, or C.
- England Athletics will send the nominated Club Team contact details of competing teams, groups and full competition rules following the closing deadline. This information will also be online.
The allocation of clubs to A, B or C categories will be based on the total number of active/registered athletes 18 years+ for the 2018-2019 affiliation year as per the year end on 31st March, 2019.
A Group (over 175 registered runners) – 5 men, 4 women to score
B Group (100-175 registered runners) – 4 men, 3 women to score
C group (less than 100 registered runners) – 3 men, 2 women to score
(Note: this mixed team competition format at Chester will be in addition to the established England Marathon Club Championships held annually within the Virgin Money London Marathon in April. London will once again see the top performances by male and female club athletes recognised in the traditional format, with the top three fastest performances by club athletes being totalled to a team time and an overall men’s club team winner and overall women’s club team winner.)