The level 1 Track Official course is an entry level qualification on the UK Athletics Track & Field Officials’ pathway.
This 2 hour 30 minutes, practical course will introduce candidates to the key roles, responsibilities and duties of a Track Official, including recording and reporting infringements, knowledge of track markings and judging lane lines and the finish.
Who should go on this course?
Anyone aged 16+ who is interested in officiating the track events, including sprints, relays and distance events.
Under 16? Click here to find out more about the Assistant Track and Field Officials’ course
What will I learn?
- To work as part of a team of track officials at an athletics meeting and carry out the basic duties of a track judge/umpire.
- To know the equipment you need to have with you at an athletics meeting to enable you to carry out your duties throughout the meeting.
- To understand that a track judge/umpire should record what is seen without being influenced by anyone else.
- To have a basic knowledge of track markings particularly the finishing line (how to judge the finish) and lane lines.
- To carry out the basic duties such as; judging, lap board and bell, break line, take over judge, hurdle observation, umpiring for observing running out of lane or impeding other athletes and what these involve.
Is there an assessment?
There isn’t an assessment but after the course candidates need to complete at least 4 competition experiences to become licensed. Candidates must have completed the Health & Safety course for Officials as well.
What do I do after the course?
- It is essential you complete a DBS. For guidance on this please click here.
- Ensure there is a passport quality photograph added to your myAthletics profile (head shot on a white background).
- Complete a minimum of 4 experiences for Level 1.
- Complete the Level 1 Application for Accreditation.
- Send your completed Level 1 Application for Accreditation to email@example.com
- For more information on progressing through the Officials’ Pathway please click here.
Health & Safety Online
This FREE online course should be completed for anyone training to become a Track and Field Athletics Official. The course will need to be completed before a licence can be issued at Level 1. The course will need to be undertaken by officials every three years.
Duration: The course will typically take around 90 minutes to complete with a multi choice assessment exercise upon competition. Note: To complete the course candidates will need to achieve a pass mark of 75% or above.
For more details on the Health & Safety module please click here