England Athletics will select athletes for the International Throwing Cup 2020 event* in Leiria, Portugal on 1-2 August to reflect its aim of taking the best possible team to the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. With a focus on developing strength in depth England Athletics will encourage over 3 athletes per event to achieve the Commonwealth standard. The Leiria International will therefore be aimed specifically at athletes who the selection panel believes are showing realistic progression towards Commonwealth selection and not just Commonwealth Medallists.
All athletes wishing to be selected for the Leiria International must express their interest in competing to Team Leader Nick Ridgeon (firstname.lastname@example.org) or EA Teams & Competitions Manager Andy Day (email@example.com) prior to selection date (20 July).
Athletes must be eligible to compete for England to be considered for selection and hold a full British passport.
- Shot Put, Discus, Javelin and Hammer (senior weights only)
- To maximize the opportunity athletes will have the chance to compete on both Saturday and Sunday.
- The selection meeting will take place on Monday 20 July 2020.
- Selectors on the panel have been chosen based on their expertise and knowledge across the throwing events.
- The final team will be announced no later than Friday 24 July 2020.
- England Athletics will nominate a maximum team of 15 athletes
The panel will select athletes who they believe satisfy the following criteria:
- The highest ranked English athletes demonstrating current competitive form (by throwing at a UKA permitted event [UKA level 2 permit as a minimum] between 1 June 2020 and 19 July 2020)
- Athletes, who in the view of the panel are showing a realistic potential to qualifying for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Athletes who demonstrate a clear plan and rationale for attending the Leiria International to gain experience and improve competition skills; this should be via communication with Team Leader Nick Ridgeon or England Athletics Teams & Competitions Manager Andy Day prior to the selection meeting,
*This is NOT the same as the European Throwing Cup which was due to be held in Leiria at the end of March 2020.