#runandtalk is supported by Mind, the mental health charity, and aims to improve mental health through running in England by:
- getting people talking about mental health, sharing their experiences and removing stigma
- providing support and guidance to raise awareness of mental health problems
- supporting people experiencing mental health problems to be physically active through running, whether that is to support them in starting, returning to or continuing to run
The programme has 4 main areas:
Mental Health Champions and Ambassadors
A network of volunteers in England Athletics affiliated clubs and RunTogether groups promoting mental wellbeing through running and supporting the aims of #runandtalk.
Mental Health Charter
The Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation was developed by the sector for the sector with the support of mental health charity Mind and Time to Change.
Over 150 organisations signed-up to the Charter within three months including England Athletics. We’re proud to be one of those organisations and are committed to taking positive action around mental health. We have a Mental Health Charter action plan which outlines how we will use athletics to support good mental well-being, tackle stigma and support all athletics providers to better understand mental health.
A partnership with Mind, the mental health charity which provides expertise around mental health.
Campaigns (currently 2)
Twice a year during a one-week period linked to Time to Talk Day (January / February) and World Mental Health Day (October) our digital campaign #runandtalk encourages people to run one mile or further and to have a chat with friends, family, colleagues or other runners whilst doing it. This can be done at a time and location of their choice or by joining one of the organised runs at an England Athletics affiliated club or RunTogether group.
Who is involved?
#runandtalk is managed and coordinated by the England Athletics Inclusion Manager and supported by a steering group which consists of the:
- England Athletics Inclusion Manager
- England Athletics Athlete & Club Compliance & Wellbeing Manager
- England Athletics Club Support Manager
- Mind Community Programmes Manager (Sport)
- 5 Mental Health Champions / Ambassadors
- An England Athletics Youth Panel member
Mental Health Help and Support Services
If you are experiencing mental health problems or need urgent support, there are lots of places you can go to for help. Click here to see a list.
Fareham Crusaders are one of the running clubs on the #runandtalk programme who have organised #runandtalk events. They’ve made these videos to share what it’s all about:
Direct link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3hcy6kl3Qc
Direct link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWBwA8AN-o