England Athletics value the importance of competitive road running opportunities for athletes looking to earn international representative honours for the first time, as well as those athletes looking to further develop themselves through international competition. We aim to both reward and acknowledge athletes meeting the selection criteria for the first time as well providing opportunity for those athletes with the potential to challenge for future global championship teams, including the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
2023 selection events
- 15 January 2023 – 10k Valencia Ibercaja
- Download the 10k Valencia Ibercaja selection policy (PDF 269kB)
- 9 February 2023 – Armagh International Road Races (3k and 5k)
- Download the Armagh International Road Races (3k and 5k) selection policy (PDF 230kB)
- At the request of the race organiser, the deadline for expressions of interest has been brought forward to 4 December 2022.
- 2 April 2023 – Anglo Celtic Plate 100k
- Download Anglo Celtic Plate 100k selection policy (PDF)
- 14 May 2023 – Copenhagen Marathon
- Download the Copenhagen Marathon selection policy (PDF)
- 1 May 2023 – Cardiff 5km – Under 20
- Download the Cardiff 5km selection policy (PDF)
- 2 September 2023 – Birrell 10km
- Download the Birrell 10km selection policy (PDF)
- 17 September 2023 – Copenhagen Half Marathon
- Download the Copenhagen Half Marathon selection policy (PDF)
Completed 2022 selection events
- 17 September 2022 – Odzero Trofeo 5k/10k Under 20
- Download the Odzero Trofeo 5k/10k selection policy (PDF 180kB)
- 18 September 2022 – Copenhagen Half Marathon
- Download the Copenhagen Half Marathon selection policy (PDF 220kB)
- 28 August 2022 – Antrim Half Marathon
- Download the Antrim Half Marathon selection policy (PDF 220kB)
- 20 August 2022 – Home Nations 5k (Cardiff)
- 1 May 2022 – Cardiff 5k
- 3 April 2022 – Anglo Celtic Plate 100k
- 6 February 2022 – Granollers Half Marathon
The first two eligible athletes at the England Athletics 10k, 10 miles, Half Marathon and Marathon Championships will be selected for an England Athletics Team opportunity.
The Selection Panel will select further athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history up to and including the given selection date given. Eligible athletes who competed at the associated England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
To be considered for selection, athletes must satisfy the following:
- Be eligible to compete for England (i.e. full British passport holder);
- Have achieved a relevant England Athletics development standard within the qualification period associated with the different Team opportunities.
Selection: England Athletics invitations
Alongside the England Athletics Team Events detailed above, we also receive invitations from on an ad hoc basis from other race organisers. We will publicise these opportunities via the England Athletics website; the Coach & Athlete Development Managers; and the England Athletics eNews. The Selection Panel will select athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history. Eligible athletes who have competed at the England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
All questions related to the selection policy and the selection races (not including Masters events) should be directed to the England Athletics Road Running Manager, Tom Craggs at firstname.lastname@example.org