England Athletics value the importance of competitive road running opportunities for athletes looking to earn international representative honours for the first time, as well as those athletes looking to further develop themselves through international competition. We aim to both reward and acknowledge athletes meeting the selection criteria for the first time as well providing opportunity for those athletes with the potential to challenge for future global championship teams, including the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
The selection panel consists of:
- Andy Day (England Athletics Teams and Competitions Manager)
- Spencer Duval (Coach & Athlete Development Manager – Endurance)
- Charlotte Fisher (England Athletics Road Running Manager)
The first two eligible athletes at the England Athletics 10k, 10 miles, Half Marathon and Marathon Championships will be selected for an England Athletics Team opportunity.
The Selection Panel will select further athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history up to and including the given selection date given. Eligible athletes who competed at the associated England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
To be considered for selection, athletes must satisfy the following:
- Be eligible to compete for England (i.e. full British passport holder);
- Have achieved a relevant England Athletics development standard within the qualification period associated with the different Team opportunities.
Selection: England Athletics invitations
Alongside the England Athletics Team Events detailed above, we also receive invitations from on an ad hoc basis from other race organisers. We will publicise these opportunities via the England Athletics website; the Coach & Athlete Development Managers; and the England Athletics eNews. The Selection Panel will select athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history. Eligible athletes who have competed at the England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
All questions related to the selection policy and the selection races (not including Masters events) should be directed to the England Athletics Road Running Manager, Charlotte Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org
The England Athletics development standards are as follows:
- 3k men 8:30, women 9:40
- 5k men 14:40, women 16:40
- 10k men 30:30, women 34:30
- 10 miles men 50:15, women 56:50
- Half marathon men 1:07.00, women 1:16.00
- Marathon men 2:23.00, women 2:44.00
Where no athlete has attained this level of performance numbers will not be back filled to meet team size aspirations.
2020 selection events
** Teams and selections will be reviewed again week beginning 13 July dependant on Government advice and international advice of the events. Expression of interest extended to 12 July inclusive.**
**Please keep an eye on further updates as COVID-19 may affect future events**
Our update page is www.englandathletics.org/coronavirus
|2 February 2020||Granollers Half Marathon (Spain)||Team announcement
Report and results
|13 February||Armagh 5k/3k International (Ireland)||Team announcement
Report and results
|21 March now 12 Sept||Antrim Coast Half Marathon (Ireland)||Team announcement
** Team selected - postponed to 12/09/2020 **
|25 April now TBC||Attnanger Road Mile International (Austria)||** Event postponed date TBC ** New selection policy posted when event confirmed|
|1 May now TBC||Trofeo Opitergium 5k/10k, Oderzo (Italy) U20||Selection policy (PDF 240kB) updated July 2020
** Event postponed date TBC **
|16 May now 26 Sept||Anglo Celtic Plate 100km Home International||Go to Ultra website section
Selection Policy (PDF 200kB)
|11 October||Rennes 10k (France)||Event cancelled for 2020|
|18 October||Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (Canada)||Selection policy (PDF 240kB) updated July 2020|
|25 October||Mainova Frankfurt Marathon (Germany)||Selection policy (PDF 240kB) updated July 2020|
Team Management opportunities
It is the aim that England Athletics team management opportunities will be offered to volunteer coaches where possible, with an aim that 50 percent of team management will come from outside the full time professional England Athletics ranks. Coach and Athlete Development Managers will work to identify potential team managers and offer international coaching opportunities through the Teams and Competitions Manager where appropriate. These roles are all very different in what is expected from them and full support will be offered to all new team managers, under the direction of the lead coach for each team and feedback will be offered to all team staff after each competition. All team managers will be expected to feedback to the lead coach and personal coaches on the performances and other observations of athletes.
There are different opportunities for:
- Event specific team coaches (Event specific coach roles will need event specific knowledge and a minimum coaching qualifications at level 3 or above).
- Team managers
- Team leaders
To be part of the England team staff or management at internationals, coaches will need to be actively engaged and delivering on England Athletics programmes such as:
- Coaching and other key staff at Charter Mark Universities who are involved in working directly with England Athletics
- Area (Midlands/North/South) and national team managers (ECCA/ERRA/FRA/RWA) with previous experience
- Coaches involved in the delivery of our targeted events work (Steeplechase / Marathon / Walks / 400m Hurdles)
- Coaches of athletes on the England Athletics Talent Programme
- ClubRun and Tracknights session deliverers
- Coaches involved in any of the throws development project delivery
- Coaches involved in delivery at Regional and National Coach and Athlete Development Days