England Athletics value the importance of competitive road running opportunities for athletes looking to earn international representative honours for the first time, as well as those athletes looking to further develop themselves through international competition. We aim to both reward and acknowledge athletes meeting the selection criteria for the first time as well providing opportunity for those athletes with the potential to challenge for future global championship teams, including the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
The selection panel consists of:
- Andy Day (England Athletics Teams and Competitions Manager)
- Spencer Duval (Coach & Athlete Development Manager – Endurance)
- Tom Craggs (England Athletics Road Running Manager and Marathon Lead)
The first two eligible athletes at the England Athletics 10k, 10 miles, Half Marathon and Marathon Championships will be selected for an England Athletics Team opportunity.
The Selection Panel will select further athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history up to and including the given selection date given. Eligible athletes who competed at the associated England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
To be considered for selection, athletes must satisfy the following:
- Be eligible to compete for England (i.e. full British passport holder);
- Have achieved a relevant England Athletics development standard within the qualification period associated with the different Team opportunities.
Selection: England Athletics invitations
Alongside the England Athletics Team Events detailed above, we also receive invitations from on an ad hoc basis from other race organisers. We will publicise these opportunities via the England Athletics website; the Coach & Athlete Development Managers; and the England Athletics eNews. The Selection Panel will select athletes based on athletes’ form, fitness and competition history. Eligible athletes who have competed at the England Athletics Championships will be prioritised for selection.
All questions related to the selection policy and the selection races (not including Masters events) should be directed to the England Athletics Road Running Manager, Tom Craggs at email@example.com
The England Athletics development standards are as follows:
- 1500m men 3:48, women 4:30
- 3k men 8:30, women 9:40
- 5k men 14:40, women 16:40
- 10k men 30:30, women 34:30
- 10 miles men 50:15, women 56:50
- Half marathon men 1:07.00, women 1:16.00
- Marathon men 2:23.00, women 2:44.00
Where no athlete has attained this level of performance numbers will not be back filled to meet team size aspirations.
- 15 August 2021 – Leeds 2 Mile Relays. Click for selection policy & expression of interest details (PDF 185kB)
- 9 August 2021 – Antrim Coast Half Marathon. Click for selection policy (PDF 310kB)
**Please keep an eye on further updates as COVID-19 may affect future events**
Our update page is www.englandathletics.org/coronavirus