The committee will select the best available teams to represent England, although where shown some teams will be selected as development teams to give them experience of international competition. All events in 2020 are subject to funding and England Athletics may amend the policies at any point.
**Update 8 August**
Following meetings at UKA and with the Home Country representatives on 5 August, the decision has been made to cancel the following events for 2020:
- British & Irish Junior Mountain Running Championships and Home Countries International, scheduled for 12 September in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland would look to host the event in 2021.
- Senior Home Countries International, scheduled to take place within the World Trial in Scotland on 27 September
Click here for Selection Policy PDF 170kB)
- Selectors view trials as the primary means of selecting the teams. Where there is no trial or an athlete is unable to compete in the trial race, it is the athlete’s responsibility to provide the Chair of Selectors, Duncan Richards with details of all performances they wish to be considered at the selection meeting. This information must be provided in advance of the trial race where there is one or before the advertised selection date.
- Athletes will usually be informed of their selection within a week of the trial and/or deadline for expressions of interest.
- Selection of all athletes is subject to the agreement of the athlete’s training and racing programme between the date of selection and the representative race by the committee. England Athletics reserves the right to de-select any athlete who is deemed unfit or injured in the lead up to the event.
- Athletes wishing to be selected for races abroad must have a valid UK passport for the country they are travelling to and be eligible to represent England in international competitions. The selection committee reserves the right to de-select any athlete who does not provide all the information requested (including passport details) within a week of selection.
- For all races, if the selectors believe that a minimum performance standard for selection has not been achieved, they reserve the right not to select a full team. To clarify – England Athletics do not intend to send teams to international events composed of athletes who have not demonstrated the level of performance required.
Please contact the Chair of Selectors if you require any further information:
Duncan Richards (tel: 07764 610 799, email: Duncan@intouchltd.co.uk).
2020 selection events
|15 March||Camp: Introduction to International Mountain Running - for 14-16 year olds (Sedbergh )||Cancelled|
|20-22 March||Camp: Performance in International Mountain Running - for 17-19 year olds||Cancelled|
|27 September |
(tbc going ahead 4 August)
|Senior Home International (included in British Athletics trial for the World Mountain Running Championships)|
Selection event: 22/23 August 2020 (tbc)
|12 July||U23 Development Race - World Mountain Running Association World Cup (Grossglockner Berglauf, Austria)|
Selection event: British Athletics Trial for European Mountain Running Championships, Sedbergh, 7 June
|18 July||Snowdon International (Llanberis, Wales)|
Selection event: British Athletics European Mountain Running Championships Trial, Sedbergh 7 June
(tbc going ahead 4 August)
|Junior Home International (Co Down, Northern Ireland)|
Selection event: English U20 Mountain Running Championships, Threlkeld, 15 August
(tbc going ahead 15 August)
|International U18 Mountain Running Cup, Ambleside, Cumbria|
Selection event: Loughrigg, Ambleside 19 September 2020