The committee will select the best available teams to represent England, although where shown some teams will be selected as development teams to give them experience of international competition. All events in 2021 are subject to funding and England Athletics may amend the policies at any point.
- Selectors view trials as the primary means of selecting the teams.
- Athletes will usually be informed of their selection within a week of the trial and/or deadline for expressions of interest.
- Selection of all athletes is subject to the agreement of the athlete’s training and racing programme between the date of selection and the representative race by the committee. England Athletics reserves the right to de-select any athlete who is deemed unfit or injured in the lead up to the event.
- Athletes wishing to be selected for races abroad must have a valid UK passport for the country they are travelling to and be eligible to represent England in international competitions. The selection committee reserves the right to de-select any athlete who does not provide all the information requested (including passport details) within a week of selection.
- For all races, if the selectors believe that a minimum performance standard for selection has not been achieved, they reserve the right not to select a full team. To clarify – England Athletics do not intend to send teams to international events composed of athletes who have not demonstrated the level of performance required.
Please contact the Chair of Selectors if you require any further information:
Duncan Richards (tel: 07764 610 799, email: Duncan@intouchltd.co.uk).
With the current restrictions and uncertainty around Covid-19, we are looking at various options for getting together and continuing junior mountain running development outdoors (i.e. non virtual).
Camp: Introduction to International Mountain Running. Online (took place 28 March)
Camp: Performance in International Mountain Running. Online and experiential (took place 30 April – 2 May)
2021 selection events
|28 March||Camp: Introduction to International Mountain Running - for 14-16 year olds||Online webinar replaces camp this year|
|9-11 April||Camp: Performance in International Mountain Running - for 17-22 year olds||a mixture of input and reflection (2-3 online sessions) and practical, with two training sessions on the Saturday and Sunday morning, local to participants.|
|17 July||Snowdon International (Llanberis, Wales)|
|24 July||International Home Countries Youth Cup (Ambleside, Cumbria)|
Selection event: 19 June 2021 - Loughrigg, Ambleside
|Click for selection event report and team
Click for results and photos
|4 September||Junior Home International (Newcastle, Co Down, Northern Ireland)|
10 July - Bradwell FRA Junior Championships Race, Peak District.
|Click for team|
|19 September||Senior Home International - included in British Athletics trial for the World Mountain Running Championships (Sedbergh)|
Selection event: 17 July - Alderman’s Ascent.
|Click for selection event report and team|
|10 October||U23 Development Race: Chiavenna-Lagunc uphill Race (Italy) tbc|
Selection event: 17 September - British Athletics uphill trial for the World Mountain Running Championships.
|Download Selection Policy (PDF 180kB)|
|31 October||World Mountain Running Association Nations Cup (Italy)|