Mental Health Ambassadors
The England Athletics Mental Health Ambassador programme aims to establish a network of volunteer ambassadors in running clubs and groups across England to support people who are experiencing mental health problems to start running, get back into running, or continue running as well as to improve the mental wellbeing of their existing members.
We’re often told that physical activity is good for our bodies and our minds, but we also understand that having a mental health problem can make it difficult to get started for a number of reasons ranging from negative body image, lack of self-esteem to practical reason such as having no one to go with and not knowing where to get started.
#runandtalk is an England Athletics campaign supported by Mind, the Mental Health charity, to improve mental wellbeing through running. The Mental Health Ambassador programme supports #runandtalk. Click here to find out more about #runandtalk.
The next #runandtalk event will be between 28th January and 3rd February 2017 to support Time to Talk Day on Thursday 2nd February.
Become a Mental Health Ambassador
Click here for more information about the Mental Health Ambassador role. We will be working with our ambassadors and providing support to work with their clubs/groups on variety of things including:
- Creating a mental health action plan for their club/group.
- Organising specific events or open evenings.
- Creating links with local mental health services/organisations.
- Sharing information on social media about #runandtalk and other related campaigns.
- Starting conversations about mental health.
- Sharing good news stories.
- Supporting leaders, coaches and other volunteers with relevant guidance on mental health.
- Volunteering through Mind and other organisations to support people experiencing mental health problems to start running.
England Athletics are committed to improving mental wellbeing through running. Our aim is to one day have a mental health ambassador in every club and group in England so that people experiencing mental health problems can access the benefits of running in a supported way.
Click here to apply to become an ambassador.
Find a Mental Health Ambassador
- To find a Mental Health Ambassador please click here and we’ll help you find one.
- Click here to download a poster about mental health ambassadors
We have over 200 ambassadors from 144 different clubs and groups across England.
Click here for a full list of ambassadors and clubs.
Mental Health Help and Support Services
If you are experiencing mental health problems or need urgent support, there are lots of places you can go to for help.
Click here to see a list.