To start your Officiating journey, you must complete a Level 1 qualification, with the discipline of your choice, choosing from
Field Judge, Track Judge, Timekeeper, Starter, Race Walking, Endurance and Photofinish.
Only one discipline needs to be completed, plus an online Health & Safety course which you should book onto first (before your discipline module) and the online Safeguarding in Athletics course.* Endurance officials should also complete the Risk Awareness course.
Courses currently available (updated regularly)
- 27 October, 8 November, 16 November, 24 November: Book Track Judge training
- 25 October, 13 November, 16 November, 22 November: Book Field Judge training
- 14 November: Book Starter/Starter’s Assistant training
- 24 October: Book Timekeeper training
- 19 November: Book Risk Awareness training
- 30 October, 27 November: Book Endurance training
Book a course
- Book on a course via our Athletics Hub booking platform (£20 per person per course).
- Download booking Terms and Conditions (PDF 90kB)
- *Safeguarding course must be completed from 1 April 2022 if not yet licensed. From 1 July licensed officials will be required to complete the safeguarding course at the point of re-licencing. Find out more on the UK Athletics website.
- Go to the Officiating Journey Step 2
Expression of Interest
If there isn’t a course in your area, please complete the expression of interest form below: