Something for everyone at SW Inter-County Road Running champs
Four counties fielded teams in this year’s South West Inter-County Road Running Championship - and all came away with awards.
The two-race championship kicked off with the Great West Run in Exeter on 14th October. In a closely contested head-to-head with local rivals Cornwall, Devon’s men’s and women’s teams both triumphed. Cornwall’s Peter le Grice and Devon’s Serane Stone led home the men and women respectively.
Four counties had representative teams at the Gloucester 10k on 28th October. Le Grice from Cornwall once again led the field, finishing in a terrific time of 29:44. His Cornish team-mate Heidi Tregenza was first woman finisher from a county team, in a time of 36:41.
Devon’s Team Manager Dave Phillips commented, “What an event - really fierce competition, but great sporting attitude, with all runners showing huge respect for each other.” Emma Stepto, Team Manager for Cornwall, added, “All our athletes really benefited from taking part and from having higher level regional competition from very strong teams - and they thoroughly enjoyed it. We are delighted with the results and want to say congratulations to the other county teams.”
Overall championship results
- Cornwall retain the championship trophy for the winning Women's Team
- Devon retain the championship trophy for the winning Men's Team
- Gloucestershire take bronze in the Men's Team championship rankings
- Wiltshire take bronze in the Women's Team championship rankings
- Cornwall's Peter le Grice is the highest-scoring individual man
Devon's Serane Stone is the highest-scoring individual woman
Photos by Tony Gale