Saucony English Cross Country Relays: preview
Another bumper entry has been received for this years Saucony English Cross Country Relays which will be taking place on Saturday 3 November.
This is the 33rd time the Relays have been staged and Berry Hill Park, Mansfield plays host for the 30th consecutive year. The tight and twisty course over the varied terrain generates a great atmosphere and competition is always intense. The laps of 2k for the younger age groups and up to 5k for the Senior Men is good for the early part of the season and how the Clubs run their teams means that there are many different leaders at the end of each leg creates much excitement.
For the 13th time, over 1000 team entries have been received and a Record number of 170 Senior Women’s teams have been entered - up 2 on the previous record. All the other age groups have got large entries so the timetable of events has been adjusted this year to take account of this:
- Under 13 Girls: 118 entries, 11.50pm, 3x2k
- Under 13 Boys: 127entries, 11.26am, 3x2k
- Under 15 Girls: 130 entries, 1.06pm, 3x2k
- Under 15 Boys: 128 entries, 1.30pm, 3x2k
- Under 17 Women: 92 entries, 10.57am, 3x2.5k
- Under 17 Men: 116 entries, 12.40pm, 3x3k
- Junior Women: 57 entries, 10.45am, 3x2.5k
- Junior Men: 78 entries, 12.15pm, 3x3k
- Senior Women: 170 entries, 1.50pm, 3x3k
- Senior Men: 207 entries, 2.40pm, 4x5k
The Course is once again been prepared meticulously but the recent gales brought down a very large oak tree on the course, however the Park Management have responded and have cleared parts of it away in double quick time.
Senior Women defending champions are Aldershot, Farnham and District AC, and for the and Senior Men it is Tonbridge; both are again entered - however what runners they will put out difficult to say at this point.