A Commonwealth legacy in the NW
The City of Manchester has had a number of talented athletes over recent years, however 2011 saw some significant strides taken by a group of young athletes from in and around the East Manchester area. All of these athletes are between 17 and 20 meaning that they were just starting out on their Athletics career 10 years ago, at the time of the Commonwealth Games in Manchester. Each one of these athletes achieved an age group top 10 finish in the UK last year, below is a list of some of their achievements which include representing England, Great Britain and winning National and International titles.
Clovis Asong 400m (Sale Harriers, Coach: Keith Hunter) Pictured
- Commonwealth Youth Champion 400m / European Youth Champion 400m
- 4th All time U20 i600m / 1st All time U15 400m / 2nd All time U17 400m / 8th All time U13 Long Jump
- Current Personal Best of 46.74 seconds over 400m
- Represented England and GB.
Roy Ejiakuekwu 60m/100m/200m (Sale Harriers, Coach: Keith Hunter)
- English U20 Champion 200m / Won Silver at the Senior European Trials 200m
- 11th All time U17 200m / North of England Champion 60m&200m
- Personal Best of 21.44 200m, 10.09 100m, 6.9 60m
- Represented England, Trains with GB relay squad
- Roy now volunteers on various programmes helping young athletes.
Ahtollah Rose Triple Jump (Sale Harriers, Coach: Keith Hunter) – English
- U20 Champion Triple Jump / English Schools Champion Triple Jump /
- 5th All time U20 Triple Jump
- Personal Best of 12.88m Triple Jump
- Represented GB at the European Junior Championship finishing 12th
- Ahtollah now volunteers on various programmes helping young athletes.
Daniel Heald 400m (Sale Harriers, Coach: Keith Hunter)
- North of England U17 Champion 400m / North of England Senior Indoor Champion 400m / 2nd English Schools Championships 400m
- 4th All time U17 i400m
- Personal Best 48.44 400m
- Represented England at Schools International finishing 3rd.
Sean Okome High Jump (Sale Harriers, Coach: Jack Frost)
- First full year of competition and ranked 5th U17 in Britain
- North of England U17 Champion High Jump
- Personal Best of 2.00metres
- Represented North West at UK School Games.
Callum Roughneen 200m/400m (Sale Harriers, Coach: John Smith)
- 3rd Place at the North of England Indoor Champs 60m / 2nd Place North of England U17 Champs 100m
- Ranked 6th U17 400m and 200m / 4th All time U17 150m
- Personal Best of 49.21 400m
Charles Burke 60m (Sale Harriers, Coach: Mark Burke)
- North of England U20 Champion 60m / 4th English Championships 60m
- Ranked 5th U20 60m
- Personal Best of 6.8secs 60m
- Charles is now a casual coach with City of Manchester Athletics
These athletes all train at the Regional Athletics Arena on the Eastlands site, which has been left as part of an impressive legacy from the 2002 Commonwealth Games.
It is clear that without this facility and the programmes that have been developed since the games these young athletes would not have had the same opportunity to develop their talents and achieve this huge level of success.
England Athletics Online store
Click here to visit the Official England Athletics online store.