2018 Commonwealth Half-Marathon Selection Policy
The inaugural Commonwealth Half Marathon Championship will be incorporated within the existing IAAF silver label Cardiff Half Marathon taking place on Sunday 7th October, 2018.
Commonwealth nations have been invited to enter up to four male and four female athletes and England Athletics intend to support this inaugural event by sending full teams to Cardiff.
England Athletics aim to send competitive teams to challenge for medals as well as giving consideration to athletes with the potential to challenge at the marathon at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
In addition to the individual Championships, this inaugural event will offer competition for teams with the first three finishers scoring for the team. Each race shall be scored separately. The team results shall be decided by the aggregate of times recorded by the scoring athletes of each team.
Expressions of Interest
England Athletics intends to select teams the week beginning 16th July, 2018. Interested athletes meeting the eligibility, qualification criteria and minimum standards outlined below should submit expressions of interest in writing to England Athletics Road Running Manager, Charlotte Fisher firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12 noon, Friday 13th July, 2018.
- be eligible to compete for England and hold a valid full British passport.
- have attained at least one England Athletics standard in either 10 miles, half marathon or marathon between 01 January 2017 and 12 July 2018.
hold a qualification standard from within the above stated period, set at any ratifiable UK marathon or IAAF licensed overseas marathon, as listed on power 10. *Short course times will not count.
The England Athletics standards are as follows:
* Performances must have been achieved between 00:00 (GMT) 01 January 2017 and 24:00 (BST) 12 July 2018
- The Team will be selected the week beginning 16th July 2018 and announced before the end of July.
- England Athletics aim to select full teams of 4 men and 4 women
- Whilst England Athletics aims to send full teams we reserve the right not to fill all places where no athlete meets the selection criteria.
- The Selection Panel will take into account head to head performances in races, quality and number of standards met, athlete development stage and future potential at global level, consistency of performance over the last 6 months, competition history and current fitness.
England Athletics reserve the right to deselect athletes who the selection panel or its nominated representative feel are not fit or competitive enough in the final month before the event. For the avoidance of doubt this could mean athletes having to prove fitness either by racing or being watched in a training session by an England Athletics representative.