Northwood Academy of Hurdles coaching series
Venue: Northwood Stadium Indoor Area, Keelings Road, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent ST1 6PA
Summary: Now in its 25th year, the Academy caters for sprints and long hurdlers in the U15-U20 age
groups, offering hands on coach development under the guidance of Chief Coach, Ted Grey.
Suitable for coaches of any level, sessions provide the opportunity for coaches to work in small teams, enabling them to share ideas whilst working with athletes of their selected age group. Coaches will be encouraged to input their ideas and extend their experience by planning sessions or parts of sessions. The emphasis is on the technical development of hurdlers but other aspects of athlete development, e.g. strength and conditioning will also figure.
Through the Academy, coaches will experience the progressive nature needed by hurdlers from the winter, through competition preparation for the indoor and outdoor seasons.
- Review of athletes’ core stability and flexibility using hurdle walkovers
- Review and development of technical model using established isolation drills
- Guidance for development of starting techniques
- Strength endurance specific to hurdles
- Preparation for indoor competition
- Video analysis of hurdle technique (when available)
- Conversion to next age group specification where appropriate
- Mobility assessment
- Running gait assessment
- Running and hurdle drills
- Hurdle approach work, bilateral, dominant and non-dominant leg action
- Technical endurance
- Maximizing stride on and off hurdle
- Hurdle starts and pace judgment
- Stride pattern / change down work whilst maintaining speed
Video analysis of hurdle technique (when available)
Time: 12pm to 2.30pm
To book: fill out the application form on the flyer.
Further information: contact Ted Grey - email@example.com
Download a flyer on the right, or below if on mobile device