England Athletics Volunteer Conference
Venue: Birmingham University Great Hall
Our conference, funded by Spirit of 2012 and hosted by Donna Fraser will be an interactive day, with opportunity to hear from leading experts, England Athletics staff and volunteers covering topics from how to involve more volunteers, how to develop and progress within your role, through to how to being more resilient or making change happen locally.
The conference theme is You Make It Happen – Helping You To Get The Most From Volunteering In Our Sport, and will focus around four key areas:
GROW – helping you to learn more about develop opportunities
LEARN – from fellow volunteers and speakers about areas that will help you
SHARE – your successes and guidance to help others
CELEBRATE – an opportunity to come together and be proud of the impact you make
Donna Fraser: Our host is Donna Fraser, a former top athlete and sprinter and four times Olympian. She battled her way through breast cancer to achieve a qualifying time to compete for trials at the 2012 Games. Donna is UK Athletics’ Equality, Diversity & Engagement Lead and is a huge supporter and advocate for volunteers and the impact they have on our sport. Donna recently chaired the panel for our National Volunteer Awards.
Chris Jones: Chris is the Chief Executive of England Athletics. Prior to this appointment at the start of 2012, he held the position of Head of Marketing and Strategy and Regional Manager for 4 and 2 years respectively. He previously worked for Sport England (2001-2006) and started his career in leisure management with Fenland District Council (1997-2001) serving as their Sports Development Manager during this period. Chris has also worked in secondary education and as a primary School Sports Officer for Peterborough City Council (1992-1995). He has been an active volunteer in community sport for over 25 years holding the positions of captain, coach, secretary, fundraising officer and chair for various local organizations.
Mark Russell: Mark joins us from The Art of Brilliance, an organisation whose primary aim is ‘to help you be your best self.’ They offer life-changing positive psychology workshops, personal development and business transformation courses and coaching.
Alongside hearing from some key speakers, we will be running 10 workshops in total and you will have opportunity to attend two of them, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
- Building personal resilience & managing stress
- Communications: Maximising Your Reach
- Role of the Volunteer Co-ordinator
- How to create an inclusive environment – how can we help to make our sport more accessible?
- Fundraising Skills Development – learning more about how to raise money for your club
- How to have difficult conversations – the trick to challenging poor behaviour and instigating change
- The Power of Mindfulness and how to use this in your role
- How to get the most from involving and supporting young people as volunteers
- Recruiting and supporting volunteers
How to create a great atmosphere and experience at your events
There will be time factored into the day for you to attend clinics if you’d like to. This will be a short 1:1 session with a member of the EA team or expert in your chosen area. Just some of the areas you’ll be able to chat with someone about are:
- Developing in your role – specific and tailored advice for your role. Whether you’re an official, committee member, coach or Run Leader, talk with others who have been in your shoes and can offer advice and guidance.
- Are you looking for advice and guidance around involving more volunteers? Chat to one of the team who might be able to give you some new ideas to try.
- Safeguarding and data protection – get up to date with the latest information
- How to use….Are you stuck on how to use the England Athletics’ Portal? Need some help to navigate our website and find the information you need?
- Are you interested in learning more about mental health and inclusion at your club or group? How to access a Mental Health Ambassador perhaps, or how to develop an inclusive programme? Speak to our Inclusion experts who can help.
- Any other burning issue you might have – we’ll have someone who you can talk to about it!
Time: Registration from 9:45am to start at 10:30am. Conference will finish at 5.30 and will be followed by an informal celebration reception, finishing at 7.00pm.
To book: Click here to go direct to booking page; registration closing 26 January 2018