A range of opportunities are available for throws coaches throughout the year, these include:
- National Level Coach and Athlete Days – held regionally
- Regional Coach & Athlete Development Days
- Other supported throws activities
National Level Coach and Athlete Days held regionally
These activities will be targeted at all throws coaches with the aim of bringing the throws community, coaches and athletes, together to network and drive performance. All sessions will involve practical activity. We will aim to use high quality deliverers with years of experience in athletics and other sports/services and will cascade down information from the British Athletics Futures and Performance programmes. The national activities will be delivered by the Regional Coach Leads and other leading coaches and include;
- Practical activity with athletes to contextualise learning and development. Clearly mapped content will be detailed in the promotion of the events.
- Three or four days per year with invited coach and athlete pairs and open to all coaches
- Places may be limited
Contact Martin Rush, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more details.
Regional Coach and Athlete training days
The next Regional Coach and Athlete Training Day will take place on Sunday 3 March incorporating Shot, Discus, Hammer and Javelin Events.
If you are a coach that works with athletes that are club level or above and are aged between 11 and 18 years old and compete at Shot, Discus, Hammer and Javelin Events. then this workshop is for YOU AND your athletes.
Athletes are welcome to attend the whole day but we recommend they arrive at lunch time ready for the afternoon practical sessions. We recommend a maximum of one or two per coach.
- Colchester – with Coaches Mark Bradford and Bob Broadbridge. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88808
If you are attending with athletes please email names to Rob Earle at email@example.com
- Birmingham Alexander Stadium – with Coaches Gary Herrington and TBC. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88809
If you are attending Birmingham with athletes please email names to Rob Careless at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Millfield School Outdoor Track – with Coaches Mo Pearson and George Eccles. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88811
If you are attending Millfield with athletes please email names to Mo Pearson email@example.com
- Sport City Manchester – with Coach TBC. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88810
If you are attending Manchester with athletes please email names to Nick Ridgeon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Topics to cover will include:
Specific grouped training for Shot, Discus, Hammer and Javelin Events
- General physical preparation ideas for a developing athlete
- Functional movement screening
- Keeping athletes healthy
- Movement efficiency
- Identifying physical limitations that could inhibit performance
- Developing practical coaching concepts relevant to a club environment
- Developing a general warm-up
- Improving technical efficiency through drills
- Event specific practical session
- Coaching interventions and strategies
- Expert guidance & support from our England Athletics Experts
9:30 to 10:00 – Arrival & Registration
10:00 to 12:00 – Generic physical preparation/movement screening. Functional movement screening using exercises to identify physical limitations that could inhibit performance and progression. The session will include some presentation but will be largely practical with ideas to take back to a club environment specifically for athletes aged 11 – 18.
12:00 to 1:00 – Lunch. Not provided by England Athletics. Athletes arrive for the afternoon practical sessions
1:00 to 2:30 – 90 minutes Javelin Practical Session. This session will work through a progression of how to get a thrower up to a full run up with an efficient and effective technique.
2:30 to 4:00 – 90 minutes Discus Practical Session. This session will work through a progression of how to get a thrower up to a full turn with an efficient and effective technique.
4:00 to 4:30 – Question and Answers with physical preparation tutor and throws coaches.
Physical Preparation sessions run by expert practitioners Rob Earle & Guy Spencer (Colchester), Julie Dodoo (Birmingham), Mark Brace (Millfield), Nick Ridgeon & Graham Pilkington (Manchester).
Regional Coach Leads
- North – Nick Ridgeon – email@example.com
- South/South East – Rob Earle – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Midlands – Rob Careless – email@example.com
- South West – Mo Pearson – firstname.lastname@example.org
Event specific activity delivered by UK and world leading practitioners. Details are published as events are announced.
Lincs Throws Academy with Geoff Capes
The academy includes coaching for both shot and discus with both athletes and their coaches welcome to attend.
The sessions are led by Geoff Capes – Level 4 Coach as well as England Athletics Hall of Fame Inductee, Commonwealth Games and European Indoor Champion – with support from Lewis Capes (Level 2 Throws coach).
They take place on Sundays throughout the winter at Holbeach Youth Centre, Boston Rd, Holbeach, Spalding PE12 7LR at a cost of £5 per session.
The academy also runs a series of Graded Indoor Shot Competitions which will take place on 20 January 2019, 17 February 2019 and 17 March 2019. These cost £7.50 to enter.