A range of opportunities are available for speed event coaches throughout the year, these include:
- Speed Masterclasses (in place of National Coach and Athlete Training Days)
- Regional Coach and Athlete Training Days
Speed Masterclasses will be held around the country (this is in place of a national coach and athlete training day).
For further information please contact Coach and Athlete Development Manager for Speed – James Hillier firstname.lastname@example.org
These are event specific activity delivered by UK and world leading practitioners. Details are published as events are available
Regional Coach and Athlete training days
The next Regional Coach and Athlete Training Day will take place on Sunday 3 March incorporating 100m, 200m, 400m and Sprint Hurdles Events.
If you are a coach that works with athletes that are club level or above and are aged between 11 and 18 years old and run the 100m, 200m, 400m (or 300m) or sprint hurdles then this workshop is for YOU AND your athletes.
Athletes are welcome to attend the whole day but we recommend they arrive at lunch time ready for the afternoon practical sessions and we recommend one – two athletes per coach only.
- Colchester – with Coaches Mike Leonard, Tony Jarrett and Harry King. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88808
If you are attending Colchester with athletes please email names to email@example.com.
- Birmingham Alexander Stadium – with Coach Andy Paul. Booking link – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88809
If you are attending Birmingham with athletes please email names to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Millfield School Outdoor Track – with Coach James Hillier. Booking link – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88811
If you are attending Millfield please can you email email@example.com with names of athletes you would like to bring.
- Sport City Manchester – With Coach Graham Pilkington. Booking link – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88810
If you are attending Manchester with athletes please email names to firstname.lastname@example.org
Topics to cover will include:
Specific Training for 100m / 200m, 400m or Sprint Hurdles (all ages)
- General physical preparation ideas for a developing athlete
- Functional movement screening
- Keeping athletes healthy
- Movement efficiency
- Identifying physical limitations that could inhibit performance
- Developing practical coaching concepts relevant to a club environment
- Developing a general warm-up
- Improving technical efficiency through drills
- Event specific practical session
- Coaching interventions and strategies
- Expert guidance & support from our England Athletics Experts
9:30 to 10:00 – Arrival & Registration
10:00 to 12:00 – Generic physical preparation/movement screening. Functional movement screening using exercises to identify physical limitations that could inhibit performance and progression. The session will include some presentation but will be largely practical with ideas to take back to a club environment specifically for athletes aged 11 – 18.
12:00 to 1:00 – Lunch. Not provided by England Athletics. Athletes arrive for the afternoon practical sessions
1:00 to 2:30 – 90 minutes Speed Specific Practical. This session will be interactive and address how some of the limitations identified in the morning physical preparation sessions can be incorporated into a general and a sprint or hurdles specific warm up.
2:30 to 4:00 – 90 minutes Event Specific Practical Session (There will be three optional sessions including: – 1) Starting with blocks (for 100m – 200m athletes): 2) Energy Distribution in the 400m; and Sprint Hurdles focussing on the first 4 hurdles)
4:00 to 4:30 – Question and Answers hosted by James Hillier, Mark Brace (Millfield), Andy Paul, Julie Dodoo (Birmingham), Mike Leonard, Harry King and Tony Jarrett (Colchester), Nick Ridgeon & Graham Pilkington (Manchester) and other coaching leads and specialists.
Event Specific sessions run by Top International Coaches James Hillier (Millfield), Graham Pilkington (Manchester), Andy Paul (Birmingham), Mike Leonard, Harry King and Tony Jarrett (Colchester)
Physical Preparation sessions run by expert practitioners Rob Earle & Guy Spencer (Colchester), Julie Dodoo (Birmingham), Mark Brace (Millfield), Nick Ridgeon & Graham Pilkington (Manchester).
Regional Coach Leads
For any regional enquiries relating to coaching, competitions and local events, you can contact your Regional Coach Leads using the details below. You can also find more information about you Regional Coach Leads here.
- North – Graham Pilkington – email@example.com
- Midlands – Andy Paul – firstname.lastname@example.org
- South West – Hurdles – James Hillier – email@example.com
- South West – Sprints – Harry King – hking@Englandathletics.org
- South East – Hurdles – Tony Jarrett – firstname.lastname@example.org
- South East – Sprints – Mike Leonard – email@example.com
- 400m hurdles coordinators: Point of contact for 300/400m hurdles training, competitions and any specific enquiries relating to the development of the 400m hurdles – Brian Hopkins – firstname.lastname@example.org, Marina Armstrong – email@example.com
- Relays – 4 x 100m coordinator: Point of contact for 4 x 100m training, competitions and any specific enquires relating to the development of the 4 x 100m – Harry King – hking@Englandathletics.org