A range of opportunities are available for jumps and combined events coaches throughout the year, these include:
- National Coach and Athlete Training days
- Regional Coach and Athlete Training Days
National Coach and Athlete Training days
These activities will be targeted at coaches with an Athletics Coach qualification or equivalent (Level 2 to 4) who have established groups and are looking to challenge their coaching process. Most sessions will involve practical activity using athletes to demonstrate key coaching points. We will aim to use high quality deliverers with years of experience in athletics and other sports/services and will cascade down information from the British Athletics Futures and Performance programmes. The national activities will be organised by the Coach and Athlete Development Managers and leading coaches and will include;
- Practical activity with athletes to contextualise learning and development. Clearly mapped content will be detailed in the promotion of the event
- Three or four days per year with invited coach and athlete pairs and open to all coaches
- Places will be limited
Contact the Coach and Athlete Development Manager for Jumps and Combined Events, Femi Akinsanya, for more information at email@example.com
Regional Coach and Athlete Training Days
The next Regional Coach and Athlete Training Day will take place on Sunday 3 March incorporating long jump, triple jump and high jump.
If you are a coach that works with athletes that are club level or above and are aged between 11 and 18 years old and run the long jump, triple jump and high jump then this workshop is for YOU AND your athletes (a separate event for pole vault is to be held).
Athletes are welcome to attend the whole day but we recommend they arrive at lunch time ready for the afternoon practical sessions. Please can you email firstname.lastname@example.org with names of athletes you would like to bring (one athlete per coach recommended)
- Colchester – with Coaches Guy Spencer, John Bancroft. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88808
- Birmingham Alexander Stadium – with Coaches Julie Dodoo , Graham Ravenscroft. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88809
- Millfield School Outdoor Track – with Coaches Denis Doyle, Erik Little. To book please go to – https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88811
- Sport City Manchester – With Coaches Jamie French, Ian Hill. To book please go to –https://www.ulearnathletics.com/cpdEvent/88810
Topics covered will include:
Specific Training for long jump, triple jump and high jump (all ages)
- General physical preparation ideas for a developing athlete
- Functional movement screening
- Keeping athletes healthy
- Movement efficiency
- Identifying physical limitations that could inhibit performance
- Developing practical coaching concepts relevant to a club environment
- Developing a general warm-up
- Improving technical efficiency through drills
- Event specific practical session
- Coaching interventions and strategies
- Expert guidance & support from Julie Dodoo, Graham Ravenscroft
9:30 to 10:00 – Arrival & Registration
10:00 to 12:00 – Generic physical preparation/movement screening. Functional movement screening using exercises to identify physical limitations that could inhibit performance and progression. The session will include some presentation but will be largely practical with ideas to take back to a club environment specifically for athletes aged 13 – 18.
12:00 to 1:00 – Lunch. Not provided by England Athletics. Athletes arrive for the afternoon practical sessions
1:00 to 2:30 – 90 minutes Event Specific Practical. This session will be interactive and address how some of the limitations identified in the morning physical preparation sessions can be incorporated into a general and specific Long jump, triple jump and high jump warm up.
2:30 to 4:00 – 90 minutes Event Specific Practical Session (Break out into long and triple jump workshop or high jump workshop
4:00 to 4:30 – Question and Answers hosted by Regional Coach Leads (if required)
Event Specific sessions run by Top International Coaches Denis Doyle and Erik Little (Millfield), Jamie French and Ian Hill (Manchester), Julie Dodoo and Graham Ravenscroft (Birmingham), Guy Spencer and John Bancroft (Colchester)
Physical Preparation sessions run by expert practitioners Rob Earle & Guy Spencer (Colchester), Julie Dodoo (Birmingham), Mark Brace (Millfield), Nick Ridgeon & Graham Pilkington (Manchester)
For more information contact Femi Akinsanya email@example.com
Regional Coach Leads
Useful people to speak to in your region about anything to do with jumps and combined events coaching, training and opportunities, you can read more about your Regional Coach Leads here.
North – Jamie French – firstname.lastname@example.org
Midlands – Julie Dodoo – Jdodoo@englandathletics.org
South – Guy Spencer – email@example.com
South West – Denis Doyle – firstname.lastname@example.org
Event specific activity delivered by UK and world leading practitioners. Details are published as events are announced.