A range of opportunities are available for endurance coaches throughout the year, these include:
- Regional Coach and Athlete workshops
- Marathon programme
- Steeplechase programme
- Race Walk programme
Regional Coach and Athlete workshops
England Athletics runs a series of Regional Coach and Athlete Training Days across the country between September and March. Delivered by elite-level coaches, these practical event-specific sessions are tailored to either Speed, Endurance, Jumps or Throws and are perfect for club-based athletes and coaches looking to develop in areas including training, preparation and technique.
- Click here to find out more.
- 800m, 1500m, 3000m and 5000m: Click here for the latest Endurance promotional leaflet (PDF 1MB)
Event specific activity delivered by UK and world leading practitioners; these are smaller get togethers where a limited number of coaches can ask specific questions and explore the coaching requirements in deeper detail with the individual presenters.
England Athletics have planned a marathon programme that will support coaches and athletes with the aim of significantly raising the depth of performance. We know that we can only do this in partnership with the coaches, clubs and athletes.
- Click here for Marathon Programme webinars (January to March 2021)
By the start of the Commonwealth Games of 2022, England Athletics aim to have;
- 5 English women inside 2.30, 20 English women inside 2.40, 100 English women inside 2.55
- 5 English men inside in 2.14, 20 English men inside 2.20, 100 English men inside 2.28
England Athletics will run a two-tier programme, Performance and Development. Athletes reaching the standards detailed below for the performance group will be invited with their coach to training and development camps. Athletes and coaches aspiring to reach these standards are invited to register for the development activities linked through the development group notes.
England PERFORMANCE Marathon Group
This part of the programme is invitation only – based on standards of
- Women – Sub 2.55 marathon or sub 80 half marathon
- Men – Sub 2.28 marathon or sub 68 half marathon
- Other identified 10k runners looking to move up to the marathon in the next 18 months
England DEVELOPMENT Marathon Group
Open to all coaches and athletes. Marathon preparation evenings for coaches and athletes. Key speakers and discussion groups talking through practical experiences of marathon preparation. These evenings are targeted at athletes aspiring to the performance group targets i.e. those athletes realistically aiming to achieve:
- Women – Sub 2.55 marathon or sub 80 half
- Men – Sub 2.28 marathon or sub 68 half
England National Marathon Camp
A mixture of group training sessions and time to train, field testing, coach network and development sessions. Talks from experienced coaches and athletes to share best practice.
Race Walk Programme
England Athletics will run a series of coach and athlete training and development camps at the National Race Walking Centre in Leeds. In addition, we will run a series of ‘taster sessions’ and regional coach and athlete activities.
England Athletics will run a series of coach and athlete training days for all interested in steeplechase. Helen Clitheroe will be working with leading steeplechase coaches and will be organising these days with the aim of providing practical advice and training tips to coaches and athletes looking to transfer into and develop in the event.
One or two-day events bringing coaches together for world class content and practice. The aim will be to hold these annually where possible tying in with partners such as the European Athletics Association and the other home countries. Next conference due end of 2020.
Specific event queries, camps and events:
- Marathon – Nick Anderson email@example.com
- Walks – Andi Drake firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steeplechase – Helen Clitheroe email@example.com
Roles in Endurance at England Athletics
- National Endurance Lead – Spencer Duval firstname.lastname@example.org
- Regional Coach Leads – click here for full details of our Regional Coach Leads – if you have any regional enquiries relating to coaching, competitions and local events please get in touch with your local RCL.
- Road running – for all things to do with road running and Club Run contact Charlotte Fisher email@example.com
Talent coach mentors
Helping coaches to move athletes up the pathway: