England Athletics and UKA have produced a number of documents to assist people within affiliated clubs in dealing with safeguarding and disciplinary situations.
This includes three resources specifically to help clubs – the Club Discipline and Appeals Process, Guidance for Disciplinary/Appeal Hearings, and a Club Parents Code of Conduct. Adopting these useful resources and ensuring club personnel familiarise themselves with additional resources/templates, will benefit your club by:
- helping your club and its officers to reduce the likelihood of problems arising
- enabling the club and its officers to be better prepared and upskilled to deal with situations in the event they do arise
- giving members, and parents of young athletes, clarity and assurance that the club has sound practices in place.
Other resources help you and your members to better understand how best to act in different situations, and how UKA and England Athletics will act if matters reach the threshold to require our involvement.
The documents produced can all be found below as follows:
Helping you know what to do in different situations
- The Athletics Safeguarding Flowchart (PDF 165kB) explains how to respond to allegations against a volunteer or another young person within the athletics environment.
- The England Athletics Complaints Flowchart (PDF 129kB) explains how to report allegations against a volunteer within the athletics environment and, most essentially, who to report too..
- The UKA / EA / Club Jurisdiction chart (PDF 114kB) details who to direct your concerns/complaints to appropriately, if you require any further guidance please contact a member of the England Athletics Compliance & Wellbeing Team or UKA Welfare Team for advice.
- The UKA and England Athletics Whistleblowing Policy flowchart (PDF 106kB) outlines the whistleblowing policy as adopted by UKA and England Athletics.
For adoption by affiliated clubs
These documents are available in Word format. This means clubs can adopt the template as produced, or make edits they believe are necessary for their club’s specific needs:
- The Club Discipline and Appeals Process (Word – 33kB) can be adopted by clubs to implement a clear, user friendly process to follow whilst dealing with misconduct complaints within the Club environment.
- Guidance for Disciplinary/Appeal Hearings (Word – 29kB) is designed to assist the Club Disciplinary/Appeal Panel Chair to conduct hearings appropriately and to provide guidance to the possible outcomes and panel decisions.
- The Club Parents Code of Conduct (Word 15kB) can be adopted by clubs to help ensure that both parents and the club have clarity on a parent’s responsibilities regarding their child within the athletics environment.
Understanding how England Athletics operates
The England Athletics National Disciplinary Procedures (PDF 456kB) document provides the procedures for the disciplinary processes of England Athletics, addressing matters of serious misconduct only.
England Athletics are robustly committed to supporting club volunteers in delivering the quality of experience that they want their club members to enjoy.
England Athletics and UKA have adopted the same Whistleblowing Policy, this can be accessed at www.uka.org.uk/governance/policies