Club affiliation of England Athletics is granted in three categories:
- Voluntary Club – A voluntary sports club is defined as an amateur, non-profit making collective of unpaid personnel whose main purpose is providing athletics activities and/or competition as a leisure pursuit. This does not exclude any clubs who may fundraise or generate profits which are 100% re-invested in the club.
- Non-Voluntary Organisation – Any organised body which provides athletics activity but does not match the definition of a voluntary club. This body could be a commercial business, a leisure centre or provider, charity or a group running with paid leaders from a sports retailer.
- Virtual Club – All online Clubs with no designated venue, training base or location. Its membership base will be made up of athletes from all geographical locations and utilise technology on digital platforms to communicate and provide help, assistance and training plans.
The benefits provided by England Athletics to registered athletes of all three categories are the same irrespective of which type of affiliated body the athletes are members of. The offers available change throughout the year.
Associations, leagues or event promoters may also apply to be affiliated members of England Athletics:
- Associations and leagues who provide individual and inter-club team competition under UKA Rules for the members of affiliated clubs on behalf of the sport’s Governing Bodies should affiliate for the purpose of specific event insurance.
- Event Promoters who wish to affiliate for the purposes of organising events under UKA rules and to secure insurance for such competitions or events can apply to be a member of England Athletics.
The affiliation process
The procedures in place for considering new club applications are designed to ensure that new applicants will enhance the provision of athletics in this country. It will also help new clubs and organisations to consider some important questions about the type and quality of activities that they wish to provide.
The procedure to apply for affiliation with England Athletics is as follows:
- Applicants can download the appropriate application form from the menu on the right hand side of this page. This needs to be completed and sent to Membership Services. A cheque for £100 (£150 from 1 April 2019) should be sent along with the application form, made out to England Athletics. No cheques will be banked until a decision has been made.
- The applicant will receive an acknowledgement receipt from Membership Services.
- The Membership Services team will ensure all criteria has been met and a decision will be communicated to the applicant within 6-8 weeks.
Further guidance on decision criteria, applicant evidence and the appeals process is detailed in the Affiliation Application Guidelines document which can be downloaded from the menu on the right hand side of this page.
Clubs and organisations should avoid making any assumptions about their application until a decision has been made. We advise that applicants do not order club kit, stationery or other items that make reference to being affiliated to England Athletics until a decision has been made.
NOTE: To ensure that a club has sufficient safeguards in place for the organisations and individuals, England Athletics, following legal advice, encourage incorporation where a club employs staff or enters into contracts and / or has an interest in property.
Using the portals
You can ensure your club’s affiliation is up to date through the Club Portal which fulfils a range of functions. This includes giving clubs the ability to administer their club’s membership payments online.
A Help and Support section is available through the Club Portal to help club membership secretaries and others use the portal effectively.
Encouraging your club members to visit the myAthletics portal and keep their own profile up to date will minimise the administrative work required by the Club Secretary. It also means athletes are sent the information they want to receive directly to them, in accordance with the communications preferences they have set through their profile.
Club members, including coaches and officials can use the myAthletics portal to keep their profile up to date, as well as ensuring their DBS check is current.
Affiliation and registration fees
Club affiliation and athlete/runner registration fees in England are among the lowest of comparable National Governing Bodies for other sports and England Athletics will continue to listen to views expressed by those involved in the sport to ensure fair and effective provision across athletics and running.
We are also mindful of the need to continually listen to our member clubs and participants and to evidence where we are spending your affiliation fees to support and develop the sport. As a membership organisation we work to ensure people trust the decisions that we make and feel pleased to be a part of the England Athletics family.
The affiliation and registration fees are set as follows in order to meet our strategic priorities to grow our sport:
Current year (1 April 2018 – 31 March 2019)
- Athlete registration fee £15: which was a £1 increase for the 2018 / 2019 Affiliation Year
- The club affiliation fee remains at £100 per club/member body
Next year (1 April 2019 – 31 March 2020)
- Athlete registration fee will remain at £15 per person. We will next review this in September 2019.
- Club affiliation fee will increase to £150 per club/member body. This fee has remained unchanged since 2015-16 and we feel that this increase, as the focus on this occasion, is the right one to make.
You can download a document showing England Athletics’ currently affiliated athletics and running clubs, including details of the disciplines for which they are affiliated to compete as a club from the menu on the right hand side of this page.
If you have any queries with this information please contact Membership Services.
Get in touch
If you have a problem or query relating to club affiliation or athlete registration you can contact membership services via the Contact Us page.