Following the new government advice on 9 July 2020 easing lockdown restrictions, we updated our guidance documents (see below) on 17 July based on this government advice. NB. Some documents have been updated further since the 17 July publication date.
Update (4 Aug 2020): England Athletics has worked with British Blind Sport to update guidance for Guide Running. Guide Running can begin to take place as long as both visually impaired runner and guide understand the increased risks involved and follow the mitigation measures included in our updated guidance – see updated guidance below for athletes & runners (page 3), coaches and leaders (page 5) and road running coaches (page 4).
- Guidance for athletes and runners: return to activity (PDF 260kB)
- Guidance for coaches and leaders: return to activity (PDF 320kB)
- Guidance for athletics venues: return to activity (PDF 235kB)
- Guidance for affiliated clubs: return to activity (PDF 250kB)
- Guidance for road running coaches: return to activity (PDF 320kB)
- Health and safety guidance: return to activity (PDF 230kB)
- COVID secure environment information (PDF 200kB)
- COVID scenarios and options flow chart (PDF 100kB)
- Guidance FAQs (PDF 200kB)
runbritain has published its Covid-19 Guidance for Road Race and Multi-Terrain Race Organisers (21 July 2020) – click here for more information and to access the guidance.
Update: 31 July. England Athletics have taken note of the latest government announcements made on Friday 31st July 2020, in relation to local area restrictions. The current guidance we have in place for training and competition remains unchanged, as published on our website (links above), and applies to all parts of England including those in locally restricted areas. Government has implemented specific sport facility closures in Blackburn with Darwen, Bradford and Leicester. We will continue to update people as we receive any further information.
- Clubs, groups and coaching/leading activity can now take place in unlimited numbers if it is within a Covid-19 secure environment, otherwise the limit of groups of six (including a coach or leader) remains. Each coach is able to train 12 people at one time so in a club/running group setting, multiple coaching/training groups can be run if the requisite number of coaches/leaders are present.
- Different rules apply for those working with young people under 18. Please read and implement the government guidance.
- Informal activity or that outside the Covid secure environment must still be within two household units or groups of no more than 6.
- Guide running can begin to take place as long as runner and guide understand the increased risks involved and follow the mitigation measures in the guidance.
- Social distancing and hygiene is still to be maintained and is key within a training involvement.
All parties should note the following disclaimer:
Please note that the subject matter covered in this guidance is in no way exhaustive and the material does not stand on its own nor is intended to be relied upon as a substitute for obtaining specific legal advice. Individual circumstances will differ. The information contained in this guidance is given in good faith but any liability of England Athletics Limited or its professional advisors (including their respective members or employees) to you or any third party which may arise out of the reliance by you or any other party of the contents of this guidance is hereby excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. England Athletics Limited and its professional advisors accept no duty of care or liability for any loss occasioned, whether caused by negligence or otherwise, to any person acting or refraining from actions as a result of any material in this guidance. We would strongly recommend that you consult professional advisors on specific issues before acting or refraining from action on any of the contents of this guidance.
These guidance documents have been prepared by England Athletics Limited
© England Athletics Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any material from these publications is permissible only when attributed to England Athletics.