When you become a registered athlete with England Athletics, via an affiliated club, you’ll be joining a community of athletes and runners from across the country whilst also helping us to support your club and invest in the sport you love.
Any new athlete to the sport can be registered between January and March and benefit from extended registration through to 31 March of the following year.
How to Become a Registered Athlete
- You must be a member of an athletics or running club that is affiliated to England Athletics to become a registered athlete
- Your club is responsible for registering you with England Athletics.
- Once England Athletics has received your details from your club and payment for your registration, we will allocate you a Unique Registration Number (URN).
- For the 2022/23 year, from 1 April 2022, the fee for athlete registration will be at £16. The charge is often paid by club members alongside their club membership fees. Many clubs state this when publicising their membership fees.
- Your registration must be renewed by 30 June each year. If you are not registered this affects your eligibility to compete in competitions held under UKA Rules and for your club. Athletes who were not registered in 2021/22 will need to be registered before competing in any licensed competition from 1 April 2022 onwards.
- To make your membership details more easily accessible, all athlete registration packs are sent out digitally via email. This will include your digital registration card with your personal URN. Your England Athletics digital registration pack/card should be received no later than 48 hours after your registration payment has been received.
- Your URN is on the digital card that you will be sent and it is also available from the person at your club who keeps your details up-to-date through the club management area of the myAthletics portal. Your digital card can be saved to your desktop, tablet or mobile device.
- You will also have a unique link within your profile area in the myAthletics portal which you can use to access your digital registration pack at any time.
- As a registered athlete you will be able to access a range of exclusive benefits and services. Click here for more details.
Once registered your URN stays the same from year-to-year. However, you must have made an up-to-date payment on your registration for your registration to remain active.
If you experience any problems in receiving your digital URN/registration card for the new registration year, you should:
- Check your email inbox and make sure that the email is not showing in your spam folder (and mark England Athletics as a ‘safe sender’)
- Log in to the myAthletics portal and go to your profile page – you will be able to access your unique URL to view your registration pack from here. If you are having problems accessing the myAthletics portal please use the forgotten username/ forgotten password functions.
- Contact our Member Engagement Team using the Contact Us form on this website
A Help & Support area is available to help athletes use the myAthletics portal effectively – you can log in to the portal via the link at the top right of this page.
If an athlete is registered for the first ever time in January to March, their registration fee also covers the following affiliation year, beginning 1 April. Note – this does not apply to lapsed athletes or those who have changed clubs, it only applies to those being registered with England Athletics for the very first time.
Checks on athlete registration
England Athletics, UKA and event organisers work in partnership to ensure that checks on England Athletics athlete registrations are carried out. Event organisers use an ‘athlete licence checker’ and race entries taken through runbritain are automatically checked for a valid England Athletics registration. The England Athletics online event entry system also automatically checks that athletes are registered when entering events, you will not be able to enter events without a valid registration if this is a requirement of the competition.
Checks on athletes also involve use of Power of 10 to check that those athletes featuring in results submitted to Power of 10 hold the appropriate England Athletics registration. If you have any issues with information on Power of 10, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Random and systematic checks are also carried out by England Athletics in addition to those made by competition providers. Competition providers can upload spreadsheets of entrant/competitor details for automated checks. England Athletics works with partners, including clubs and competition providers, to minimise the number of instances in which disqualification occurs. The number of unregistered athletes remains very low.
Please ensure you work with your club to ensure your athlete registration is kept up-to-date and that you are eligible to compete.
Important details to remember about your Registration
- Ensure you know your URN, also referred to as licence number or England Athletics registration number, or make a note of it
- Ensure you pay your club membership fee, including the England Athletics registration fee, promptly
- Make clear to your club that you are a competing athlete if your club also has non-competing athletes
- Be aware of your club’s membership renewal process – when do you need to pay and how?
- Log in to the myAthletics portal to check your personal details are correct and view your registration status. You must have a valid and up-to-date email address listed against your profile otherwise you will not receive your digital registration pack, including your URN. If necessary use the forgotten username / forgotten password functionality to access the portal.
- The new affiliation year begins on 1 April.
- Athletes registered in the previous affiliation year have until 30 June to renew their registration
- Ensure your details are correct on your profile:
- First name – use your full name without abbreviations
- Date of Birth
- Email address – you can choose how you hear from England Athletics by setting your communication preferences in the myAthletics portal
- When you are sent your athlete pack keep a digital copy of your registration card
Foreign Athlete Registration
To register new foreign athletes for 2023, please complete the application form you can find in the Useful Documents section in the myAthletics Portal, email to email@example.com and make a BACS payment using the details below.
UK Athletics | Sort: 30 64 10 | Account: 31040560 | Reference: FOREIGNATHLETE
As per rule G2 S5(5) in UKA Rules for Competition, the £10 fee is now only required for the 1st year of registration.
Renewing Foreign Athletes
All clubs with current foreign athletes have now been sent a renewal list to complete and return back to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can find the current list of Foreign Athletes on the right / bottom of this page.
To compete for a club as a Higher Competition Athlete, an athlete must complete the Higher Competition Athlete Form and make the appropriate payment. Athletes and clubs are reminded that this process closes on 1 March each year.
- The application form can be found in the Useful Documents section in the myAthletics Portal.
- You can find the current Higher Competition Athlete lists on the right / bottom of this page.
First Claim Other Discipline
An application form can also be completed by those athletes wishing to compete for a new club in a discipline in which their First Claim Club does not affiliate.
- This form can be found under Useful Documents section in the myAthletics Portal and athletes can apply at any time of year.