How to Become a Registered Athlete
- You must be a member of an athletics or running club that is affiliated to England Athletics to become a registered athlete
- Your club is responsible for registering you with England Athletics.
- Once England Athletics have received your details from your club and payment for your registration, we will allocate you a Unique Registration Number (URN).
- For the Affiliation Year from 1 April 2020 the fee for athlete registration will remain at £15 (instead of the planned increase by £1 to £16) – this decision was taken as part of our revisions to the 2020/21 affiliation year as a result of the coronavirus outbreak. The charge is often paid by club members alongside their club membership fees. Many clubs state this when publicising their membership fees. You can click here to read our ‘England Athletics Affiliation FAQ Sheet for coronavirus’ document.
- Your registration must be renewed by 30 June each year. However, we have extended this to 31 August 2020 for this current affiliation year (again, as part of the revisions to help clubs and athletes during the coronavirus outbreak). If you are not registered this affects your eligibility to compete in competitions held under UKA Rules and for your club.
- To make your membership details more easily accessible, from 1 April 2020 all athlete registration packs will be sent out digitally only via email. This will include your digital registration card with your personal URN. Your England Athletics digital registration pack/card should be received no later than 48 hours after your registration payment has been received.
- Your registration number (URN) is on the digital card that you will be sent and it is also available from the person at your club who keeps your details up to date on the secure club portal. Your digital card can be saved to your desktop, tablet or mobile device.
- You will also have a unique url link within your profile area in the myAthletics portal which you can use to access your digital registration pack at any time.
Once registered your URN stays the same from year-to-year. However, you must have made an up-to-date payment on your registration for your registration to remain active. If payment is not received by 31 August 2020 your registration will expire.
If you experience any problems in receiving your digital URN/Registration card for the new affiliation year, you should:
- Check your email inbox and make sure that the email is not showing in your spam folder (and mark England Athletics as a ‘safe sender’)
- Log in to the myAthletics portal and go to your profile page, you will be able to access your unique URL to view your registration pack from here. If you are having problems accessing the myAthletics portal please use the forgotten username/ forgotten password functions.
- Contact Membership Services using the Contact Us form on this website
A Help & Support area is available to help athletes use the myAthletics portal effectively, you can log in to the portal via the link at the top right of this page.
If an athlete is registered for the first ever time in January – March their registration fee also covers the following affiliation year, beginning 1 April. Note – this does not apply to lapsed athletes or those who have changed clubs, it only applies to those being registered with England Athletics for the very first time.
Checks on athlete registration
England Athletics, UKA and event organisers work in partnership to ensure that checks on England Athletics athlete registrations are carried out. Event organisers use an ‘athlete licence checker’ and race entries taken through runbritain are automatically checked for a valid England Athletics registration. The England Athletics online event entry system also automatically checks that athletes are registered when entering events, you will not be able to enter events without a valid registration if this is a requirement of the competition.
Checks on athletes also involve use of Power of 10 to check that those athletes featuring in results submitted to Power of 10 hold the appropriate England Athletics registration. If you have any issues with information on Power of 10, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Random and systematic checks are also carried out by England Athletics in addition to those made by competition providers. Competition providers can upload spreadsheets of entrant/competitor details for automated checks. England Athletics works with partners, including clubs and competition providers, to minimise the number of instances in which disqualification occurs. The number of unregistered athletes remains very low.
Please ensure you work with your club to ensure your athlete registration is kept up to date and that you are eligible to compete.
Important details to remember about your Registration
- Ensure you know your URN, also referred to as licence number or England Athletics registration number, or make a note of it
- Ensure you pay your club membership fee, including England Athletics’ registration fee, promptly
- Make clear to your club that you are a competing athlete if your club also has non-competing athletes
- Be aware of your club’s membership renewal process – when do you need to pay and how?
- Log in to the myAthletics portal to check your personal details are correct and view your registration status. You must have a valid and up-to-date email address listed against your profile otherwise you will not receive your digital registration pack, including your URN. If necessary use the forgotten username / forgotten password functionality to access the portal.
- The new affiliation year begins on 1 April.
- Athletes registered in the previous affiliation year have until 31 August to renew their registration
- Previously registered athletes who have not renewed their registration by 31 August will become ‘unregistered’ at that point
- Ensure your details are correct on your profile:
- First name – use your full name without abbreviations
- Date of Birth
- Email address – you can choose how you hear from England Athletics by setting your communication preferences in the myAthletics portal
- Address – keep this up to date to ensure you receive your registration pack
- When you are sent your athlete pack keep hold of your registration card
Foreign Athlete Registration
For full information about Foreign Athlete registration please see the UKA Rules for Competition. You can also download an application form for the registration of foreign athletes from the right hand side of this page. The 2020 list of Foreign athletes is now published and can be downloaded from the right hand side of this page.
Higher Competition and First Claim for other discipline
To compete for a club as a Higher Competition Athlete an athlete must complete the Higher Competition Athlete Form and make the appropriate payment. Athletes and Clubs are reminded that this process closes on 1 March each year.
An application form can also be completed by those athletes wishing to compete for a new Club in a discipline for which their First Claim Club does not affiliate.
More information regarding Higher Competition Athletes can be found in the UKA Rules for Competition (Rule 21 S3 (4)).
You can also download the application forms from the right hand side of this page.