How to Become a Registered Athlete
- You must be a member of an athletics or running club that is affiliated to England Athletics to become a registered athlete
- Your club is responsible for registering you with England Athletics.
- Once England Athletics have received your details from your club and payment for your registration, we will allocate you a Unique Registration Number (URN).
- For the Affiliation Year from 1 April 2018 the fee for athlete registration is £15. The charge is often paid by club members alongside their club membership fees. Many clubs state this when publicising their membership fees.
- Your registration must be renewed by 30 June each year. If you are not registered this affects your eligibility to compete in competitions held under UKA Rules and for your club.
- Membership Services submit details of registered athletes to our registration card providers. Your England Athletics registration card should be received no later than four weeks from that submission (the first batch of the affiliation year is usually sent in June).
- Your registration number is on the card that you are sent, it is also available from the person at your club who keeps your details up to date on the secure club portal.
Once registered your URN stays the same from year-to-year. However, you must have made an up-to-date payment on your registration for your registration to remain active. If payment is not received by 30 June your registration will expire.
If you experience any problems in receiving your URN/Registration card, you should contact:
- Your Club’s Membership Secretary or Secretary
- Membership Services using the Contact Us form on this website
A Help & Support area is available to help athletes use the myAthletics portal effectively, you can log in to the portal via the link at the top right of this page.
Checks on athlete registration
England Athletics, UKA and event organisers work in partnership to ensure that checks on England Athletics athlete registrations are carried out. Event organisers use an ‘athlete licence checker’ and race entries taken through runbritain are automatically checked for a valid England Athletics registration. The England Athletics online event entry system also automatically checks that athletes are registered when entering events, you will not be able to enter events without a valid registration if this is a requirement of the competition.
Checks on athletes also involve use of Power of 10 to check that those athletes featuring in results submitted to Power of 10 hold the appropriate England Athletics registration.
Random and systematic checks are also carried out by England Athletics in addition to those made by competition providers. Competition providers can upload spreadsheets of entrant/competitor details for automated checks. England Athletics works with partners, including clubs and competition providers, to minimise the number of instances in which disqualification occurs. The number of unregistered athletes remains very low.
Please ensure you work with your club to ensure your athlete registration is kept up to date and that you are eligible to compete.
Important details to remember about your Registration
- Ensure you know your URN, also referred to as licence number or England Athletics registration number, or make a note of it
- Ensure you pay your club membership fee, including England Athletics’ registration fee, promptly
- Make clear to your club that you are a competing athlete if your club also has non-competing athletes
- Be aware of your club’s membership renewal process – when do you need to pay and how?
- Log in to the myAthletics portal to check your personal details are correct and view your registration status. If necessary use the forgotten username and/or forgotten password functionality to access the portal.
- The new affiliation year begins on 1 April.
- Athletes registered in the previous affiliation year have until 30 June to renew their registration
- Previously registered athletes who have not renewed their registration by 30 June will become ‘unregistered’ at that point
- Ensure your details are correct on your profile:
- First name – use your full name without abbreviations
- Date of Birth
- Email address – you can choose how you hear from England Athletics by setting your communication preferences in the myAthletics portal
- Address – keep this up to date to ensure you receive your registration pack
- When you are sent your athlete pack keep hold of your registration card
Foreign Athlete Registration
For full information about Foreign Athlete registration please see the UKA Rules for Competition. You can also download an application form for the registration of foreign athletes from the right hand side of this page.