One of the two England Athletics elected board positions* is up for re-election at this year’s AGM, currently scheduled for 23 October 2021. The election process opens today (1 July 2021) with the nomination form being available for candidates to download.
Myra Nimmo, chair of England Athletics, said:
“The England Athletics Board brings together a rich diversity of skills to allow them to support the executive and the sport. The next few years will inevitably be challenging and we would value the contribution from someone who feels they can contribute to the debate and direction that England Athletics should take in order to build on the sound foundations of our clubs to a successful home Commonwealth Games.”
Chris Jones, Chief Executive Officer at England Athletics, said:
“England Athletics and the wider sport are proud of the achievements and contributions of our athletes, runners, coaches, officials and volunteers across all levels of our great sport. Athletics and running clubs provide opportunities for participants of all backgrounds, ages and aspirations both on and off the track.”
“It is, therefore, important that we work to encourage and promote representation that reflects the great diversity of our membership, not only on our Board, and our England and Regional Council structure but also across club committees and management groups nationwide. England Athletics is committed to addressing inequality at all levels and to recruit a Board of Non-Executive Directors who provide a rich balance of skills, knowledge, and experience. England Athletics positively encourages nominations from all candidates regardless of background, ethnicity, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or belief.”
Nominations and Support Confirmations
The process is as follows:
- The candidate should complete the nomination form listing the names of the clubs which have agreed to nominate them and the number of votes each is entitled to cast (there must be at least 8 supporters – including their own club – which are between them entitled to cast at least 15 votes.
- The candidate should also ask each nominating club to complete a supporter confirmation form and send this to England Athletics.
Nominations are required to be in writing but due to the difficulties associated with measures to address the current Coronavirus pandemic and the England Athletics office being closed at this time, candidates are encouraged to send their completed nomination forms, and encourage their nominators also to send their supporter confirmations, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In view of the difficulties referred to above, nominations and confirmations sent by email will be deemed to have been signed by the sender.
If candidates or nominators need to send completed nomination/confirmation forms via the post, signed forms should be sent to Samantha O’Shea, Director Nominations, PO Box 4324, Swindon, SN2 9NB.
Nomination forms will not be considered if all of the candidate’s supporters have not provided their written consent confirming their support of the candidate. If the completed form is being submitted via post, then each supporter’s physical signature must be included in the signature box.
Please note that the deadline by which England Athletics should have received any nominations is Friday 27 August 2021.
Click here to download a full role description with the key accountabilities and responsibilities being:
- To act as an unbiased, objective and impartial member of the Board, ensuring that all decisions taken are in the best long-term interests of England Athletics, and its stakeholders.
- To offer advice and guidance in a consultative capacity to the Chief Executive and other Senior Managers as required.
- To assist in the development of the organisation’s strategy, ensuring this is implemented via effective policies and plans, whilst ensuring effective governance and control processes are in place.
- To ensure that the organisation is run in a transparent and equitable manner.
- To ensure that the Board operates in line with accepted good practice in terms of Corporate Governance.
- To act in accordance with the Board of Directors’ Code of Conduct at all times.
- Represent England Athletics on relevant external national bodies.
- To attend 6-8 formal Board meetings a year, as well as other ad-hoc meetings and to sit on Board Sub-Committees/Groups as required.
- To ensure that the organisation has a robust, workable and viable operational strategy, including detailed financial plans.
- To monitor the operational performance of the organisation and the executive management.
- To attend England Council and/or Regional Council meetings, as required.
- To represent and champion England Athletics at the highest level in terms of advocacy and networking with relevant government ministers, senior civil servants and with key partners, stakeholders (especially UK Athletics and Sport England as required).
- To contribute towards the development of vision, strategy and policies of England Athletics.
- To act as an ambassador for the sport at national, regional and local level, and also as the guardian of England Athletics’ reputation with all stakeholders in athletics and the general public.
- Click here for the nomination form (DOC 100kB)
- Click here for the supporter confirmation form (DOC 100kB)
- Click here for our Election Regulations for Directors (PDF 40kB)
- Click here for the Candidate Brief – Non-Executive Director (PDF 60kB)
* Tim Soutar (Blackheath & Bromley Harriers AC) successfully stood for a second term in 2017 and his position is now up for re-election at this year’s AGM. The successful candidate will commence their role from this date.