World Marathon Challenge
Save the date! 5th October 2016
The World Marathon Challenge is the brainchild of AAA Events Manager George Bunner who is best known as the creator of Sportshall Athletics, a form of modified indoor athletics for children which has since grown to one of the most popular school sports competition in the UK and continues to spread throughout the world. It was through the international links developed through the Sportshall programme that the World Marathon Challenge was born. The AAA intends to maintain its involvement in helping to promote the event throughout the UK.
- Click here to read more about the 2016 event
- Click here to read the full story of the history of the World Marathon Challenge
The AAA continued its sponsorship enabling the programme to grow and in the following years more and more teams from both the UK and abroad have joined until 2012 when adoption of the programme by Save the Children ensured it spread world wide. The World Marathon Challenge was included as part of London’s successful bid for the 2017 World Athletics Championships and the AAA are delighted that Sportshall are now continuing to run this event each year. Plans are already being discussed to greatly expand the event to include many more teams and countries plus relays for other age groups.
The virtual competition for Secondary Schools (years 7 and 8) and open to school teams from around the world.
- Interested schools should contact George Bunner on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01928 732 228
- Click here to register your team's interest.
- Click here for the Organisers' Guide which sets out everything anyone needs to know about organising an event.
- Click here for other useful resources.
View videos below: 2011 and 2012.