England Athletics works closely with UK Athletics / British Athletics in the training and supporting of officials in England.
- England Athletics manages the Level 1 and 2 officials' courses, and Health and Safety courses.
England Athletics also manages the Level 1 and 2 endurance officials' courses, and Risk Assessment courses, and the Road Traffic Management courses.
UKA manage Level 3 and above - click here for more info.
- England Athletics produces an Officials' Magazine: For The Record (online and paper)
- England Athletics hosts a National Forum twice a year
- England Athletics lists the County Officials' Secretaries (COfSecs), Peer Groups and Tri-Regional Officials Groups
- England Athletics supports the regional Officials' Associations
How to become a licenced official, or upgrade?
You can start with a Level 1 (generic) or Level 2 (specific discipline) course.
- Download course information leaflets from the right hand side of this page.
- See our Level 1 and Level 2 Officials section for details on how to progress as a Level 2 Club, Level 2 County or Level 2 Regional Official.
- Courses are listed in our Courses and Bookings section; use the course finder on the top right of that page to help you.
- Click here to read more about DBS Disclosure and Barring Service (previously CRB) check for officials
- Teacher, Coach and Officials' Education Co-ordinators can be found in the Your Area section - click on your local region and then choose the OFFICIALS menu.
Information for officials
Tri-Regional Officials Groups (TRGs) have been set up to take responsibility for the overall management of Senior Officials within England. As the name suggests, each of these covers three of the nine regions within England Athletics. The Tri-Regional Groups make recommendations to the UK Peer Group for International and National matches. Downloads of useful documents can be found on the right hand side of the page, and below.
- Click here or on the right for details of TRGs
- Click here to find out more about officiating locally Each region in the Your Area website section contains an Officials menu
- Click here to read copies of our Officials' magazine For The Record
- We have also worked with UKA, the England regional and other national associations to produce discipline-specific booklets for new officials wanting to know where to begin. You can download each booklet on the right of this page.
- Click here or on the right for Seeding Guidelines for our championships
- To find out more about officiating you can go to the Official’s section of the UK/British Athletics website.
June Swift is the England Athletics Volunteer, Young People and Officials' Development Officer
Mob: 07912 127589