Elevating Athletics is the curriculum for delivery of athletics in schools - designed to place running, jumping and throwing at the heart of school physical education and to support teachers in delivering athletic activity in an inclusive, exciting and engaging manner. It has been written by physical education experts with extensive experience of teaching and coaching athletics at school, club and international level. To go to the Elevating Athletics website click here.
Elevating Athletics is written to conform to curriculum requirements in England. It has been delivered to every State School in the UK and is available from the YST Direct website.
The aims of Elevating Athletics are:
- To bring the sport of athletics to life and make it accessible
- To provide teachers with a creative and practical resource that will help them encourage and motivate youngsters participate and achieve in athletics
- To ensure that athletics is taught in a more inclusive and engaging manner, with modern approaches that are less reliant on formal didactic delivery and focus more on learning
- To ensure all children receive a positive experience of athletics, where the emphasis is on participation, enjoyment, mastery and the acquisition of skills, so that they maintain interest in the sport.
- To create a greater understanding that running, jumping and throwing underpin the vast majority of sports, and ensure children acquire and develop these skills throughout their education
- To reach out and appeal to a much wider audience of young people to ensure we have a sustainable number of 16-17 year olds in the sport, who are committed to competing at senior level.
It is important that schools support the development of athleticism in youngsters, certainly up to the age of 13-14. Good teaching at the very early stages is crucial, along with appropriate year on year progression. It takes time to develop the fundamental skills and understanding associated with movements underpinning the ability to run, jump and throw.
To find out more about hosting a course at your school, college or University please click here.
Elevating Athletics is a set of resources designed to place running, jumping and throwing at the heart of school physical education and to support teachers in delivering athletic activity in an inclusive, exciting and engaging manner.