It is the policy of the English Cross Country Association, backed by England Athletics, to send teams to International Cross Country events to help athletes to develop and gain experience of travelling and competing against good quality athletes from other Countries.
England teams are selected for the Senior age group and the IAAF Under 20 age groups for both men and women. No athlete who is under the age of 16 on the day of competition will be selected and if under 18 will be required to complete a parental consent form. The English Cross Country Association has decided on the programme of international fixtures for 2011/12, as follows:
England will send Teams of 4 Junior Women, 4 Junior Men, 4 Senior Women and 4 Senior Men as listed below. Where possible athletes will be selected about 14 days before the events.
2012-2013 Selection events
- Sunday 11th November 2012 – Burgos, Spain (selection based on known form from early XC Leagues plus form at the Road Relays) click for selections click for report
- Sunday 16th December 2012 – Vente de Banos, Spain (selection based on the European trials at Liverpool) click for selections
- Saturday 12th January 2013 – Antrim (selection would be based on the European trials at Liverpool)
- Sunday 20th January 2013 – Cardiff (selection based on the European trials at Liverpool and County champs form)
- Saturday 23rd March 2013 – Home Countries International, Dinefwr, Carmarthenshire, Wales (selection would be based on the European trials at Liverpool and the English National Cross Country Championships and UK Inter Counties). Selections below.
Dan Garbutt - Durham City H & AC
Richard Morrell - Morpeth H
Alex Tueten – City of Portsmouth AC
James Walsh – Leeds City AC
Cathrin Blew – Taunton AC
Frances Briscoe – Coventry Godiva AC
Georgie Bruinvels – Aldershot, Farnham & Dist AC
Olivia Walwyn – City of Norwich AC
Jack Gray – BRATS
Luca Russo – Tonbridge AC
Edward Shepherd – Woodford Green with
Essex Ladies AC
Matthew Shirling – Liverpool H
Iona Lake - City ofNorwich AC
Annabel Mason - Wakefield
Rebecca Murray - Bedford & County AC
Jenny Walsh - Spenborough & Dist. AC
The above fixtures have been chosen to avoid most of the key cross country events in the UK, also to give athletes International experience and help them prepare for Championships.
The England Cross Country Team Managers have a great track record and will select teams using the the following events as a guide. The England Team Managers will be pleased to hear from leading athletes on their plans and whether they would like to be considered for any of the above events (subject to form) for contact info see the English Cross Country Association web site.