Annual Conference and AGM
The Annual Conference and Annual General Meeting of the Northern Athletics Officials Association takes place in October. At the AGM the members elect the Association Committee for the coming year and are always looking for new blood to bring fresh ideas to the Association. As always, there is no charge for the conference for members of the Association but numbers need to be confirmed in advance as there will be no spare meals on the day.
The Annual Conference on 9th October 2016 was held at the Holiday Inn Brighouse-Bradford where the guest speaker was Jim Alder. Jim spoke of competing in 10,000m, Marathon and multi Marathon events at Regional (NE/ NoE), National (Scotland) and International (GB & NI) level, including two Olympic Games, and of some of the competitors he met along the way. The conference also featured workshops to help members develop as technical officials.
The 2017 conference will again be held at the Holiday Inn Brighouse-Bradford on 1st October and the guest speaker will be Peter Warden. As always, the aim of the conference will be to educate and entertain after a busy summer season which will include the Para Athletic World Championships and IAAF World Championships in London.
Previous speakers have included:
- (2011) Alan Bell: Former chair of UKA Technical Committee International starter at the 2011 World Championships. Start Coordinator for London 2012
- (2011) Chris Cohen: Past chairman of IPC Athletics. Currently Vice Chairman of the IPC Sports Council. Competition Director for London 2012.
- (2012) David Brown who gave an insight into the workings of the UKA Welfare Department and the work they do to protect young and vulnerable athletes.
- (2012) Mike Dooling who spoke of his memories of being a Torchbearer and his time at the Olympics themselves.
- (2013) Sandy and Mike Forrest: Sandy had been Chief of the Photo-Finish Team at London 2012 while her husband Mike had also been part of that team.
- (2013) Toni Minichiello: Gave “A Coaches' View of Officials” an insight into working with his athlete Jess Ennis and the excitement of London 2012.
- (2014) Peter Matthews and Malcolm Rogers
- (2015) Sue Richardson and Muriel Hearnshaw: Olympians 1980, 1984 and 1948.
- (2016) Jim Alder: Jim spoke of competing in 10,000m, Marathon and multi Marathon events at Regional (NE/ NoE), National (Scotland) and International (GB & NI) level, including two Olympic Games, and of some of the competitors he met along the way.
- (2017) Peter Warden
You can read the previous conference reports by clicking the link to your right.