New funding opportunity for clubs to involve young volunteers
Are you a club that:
• Wants to increase the number of younger people supporting you through volunteering and would like some help to make that happen?
• Is or has the potential to be a wonderful place for young people to volunteer?
• Recognises the importance of making volunteering the best experience it can possibly be by really taking time to support people who get involved?
If you’ve answered yes, then read on as we have a fantastic funding opportunity available for you.
Funded by our partners Spirt of 2012, we are pleased to confirm that applications are now being invited to our new Game Changers Young Volunteer Programme. The programme offers the opportunity for clubs to apply for a package of support related to building local partnerships with youth-focused organisations to involve more young people aged between 14-25 through volunteering at the club. This can be in a number of roles dependent on your needs, including officiating, coaching, event marshalling and more.
We are inviting you to apply for funding to develop a partnership with a local youth-orientated organisation (school, college, youth group for example), working with them to identify groups of young volunteers who’ll join you as Game Changers. You’d use the funding to get them trained, resourced and supported to volunteer with you at the club and at your events.
The Game Changers Young Volunteer Programme provides clubs with a fantastic opportunity to not only increase the number of volunteers supporting you at the club, but also to improve the experience of young people who do volunteer, rewarding and celebrating their achievements and providing them with the chance to develop skills and expertise in the roles they take on.
The programme is being launched as part of the Team Personal Best campaign that is running throughout the summer of 2017 to inspire more people to get involved in grassroot athletics.
Kerry Marland, National Volunteer Manager says: "I remember taking on my first volunteer role at about 12 years old and have been volunteering in one way or another ever since. Volunteering is such a fantastic thing for people to do of any age, but is particularly special for young people who are just starting out in life and thinking about what they might like to do.
This programme will inspire a new generation to give volunteering at their local club a try and ultimately hopefully improve capacity at our clubs to support more athletes. We know that clubs might have a lot of questions, so please don’t hesitate in getting in touch with us for more information at email@example.com."
Debbie Lye, Spirit of 2012 Chief Executive added: "For athletics and running clubs to thrive and continue to attract young members, they need a diverse group of volunteers which includes young people. They can help make the clubs fun places to socialise and develop valuable skills and confidence, whilst getting involved in the sport and helping their own communities. Spirit of 2012 is delighted to support Game Changers - clubs with a focus on recruiting and training young volunteers and on recognising and rewarding their contribution."
- We suggest taking time to read through the Information for Clubs document; click here to download it (PDF 2.3MB) and let us know if you have any questions at all. We are looking for a maximum of 10 clubs to join us for this pilot stage, so if you feel ready to join us now and help shape the programme then we’d love to hear from you. There will also be other opportunities over the next 12 months to join the programme.
- There is also an Information for Potential Partners document; click here to download it (PDF 6MB). The document is editable and you can send on to potential organisations you’d like to approach about involving young volunteers. In order to edit, you will need to save the document to your computer and then access with Adobe; this is available for free here: https://get.adobe.com/uk/reader
- Click here for the Application form. The closing date for applications to be received is midnight on Sunday 21st May.